ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Ⅲ- ɢᴇɴᴇʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴᴀʟ ᴄᴜʀꜱᴇ

༻✩༺

                      ꜰᴀʟʟ ᴏꜰ 1997

Word count: 1,215

"So how long until you call it quits?" Nicole says as she watches her sister rummaging through a bunch of documents she took everything from its compartments in her bedroom. Seated at the foot of Nyla's bed, Nicole patiently waits for a response.

"What do you mean?" Nyla asks, not once looking up from what she was searching for.

"At the club, eventually you're gonna have to stop stripping," Nicole watches her little sister pace throughout the bedroom like a chicken with her head cut off. She's told her sister to relax many times, but she wasn't hearing it. She can feel nyla's irritability from across the room, Nicole loves her dearly and cares deeply for her. She hated seeing her like this.

"Who said I was?" Nyla rolls her eyes, running her fingers through her curls.

"So that means you're not keeping the baby?" Nicole's heart sinks as the words leave her mouth, but she knew whatever decision Nyla makes, she'll be there for her.

Nyla completely ignores her question or probably didn't hear clearly, too busy in her own thoughts to even comprehend what was going on around her. "Does mommy have my birth certificate? I'm gonna need it."

Nicole sighs as she gets up from the bed, matching her head with her shoulders. She walks towards her sister, grabs whatever papers are left in Nyla's hand, tossing them to the floor. Nicole looks into Nyla's tired eyes; she wasn't her usual glowing self. Her deep brown skin was dull, dark circles under her eyes. She hasn't had an ounce of rest because her mind has been spinning.

"You know you can tell me anything, right? What happened after he dropped you off?" Nicole holds onto her sister's hands, never letting go. Nyla's lips tremble, tears cascading down her cheeks.

"He wants nothing to do with the baby, or me...." Nyla broke down, falling to her knees.

"I'm sorry..." was all Nicole could say. She embraced her sister tightly.

"I-I don't know what to do," Nyla whispers.

"You have to make a decision, Nyla ...I have to be honest. It's either you take care of it at the clinic or you're keeping the baby. But I just want to let you know" Nicole takes a pause before speaking again.

" if you decide to keep it, you will not have to go through it alone. I will be here. I know Momma is gonna lose her shit, but I'm here by your side. You have to act soon," Nicole explains.

Nyla was almost in the middle of her trimester, She's three months in and barely showing. Before it became obvious, she wanted to tell her mom and the family and quit stripping on the side. Having a child meant putting your own life on hold and focusing on the new responsibility. It was no longer just about her; it's about the child's well-being too.

Nyla was a rebel and always has been. No one knew where it came from, but Nicole sure has. After the separation of their parents, things went left for both of them. Finding out their father got a mistress pregnant on the side took the family for a roller coaster. It affected the family.

Their mother, Ruby, tried to make things work between her and their father. even welcoming their half-brother into the family events to calm down the family feud and reconcile. But soon enough, Ruby filed for a divorce from their father, Ray.

Nyla was fourteen at the time, while Nicole was just shy of her eighteenth birthday. After Nyla entered high school it was a short-lived experience, becoming a dropout. She became reckless and lived her life on the edge. She went against the rules, coming inside late at night. Nicole would hear the bickering between her mother and Nyla. Nyla would state how their mother would pick a fight with her when in fact, Nicole engaged in the same behavior. Coming in at all times of night, hanging out with the wrong crowds, sex, going to clubs, getting into fights, and indulging in drugs. But Nicole never faced consequences for her actions.
Nyla thought it was unfair, which caused Nyla to run away then come back home days later but she never once felt ill intent towards her sister Nicole.

。・:*

"Listen to her, please!" Nicole's cry interrupts the tense confrontation between her mother and younger sister. Nyla's eyes are red and swollen, her chest heaving with heavy breaths. She's afraid that her hyperventilation will cause stress to the unborn baby.

Their mother screams and sobs, "Where did I go wrong with you, Nyla? Tell me!" Urgency fills her eyes as she shakes her child, her eyes bulging to the point of popping out of her skull.

The hallway of the rundown apartment complex falls silent as the three of them stand, knowing that the neighbors have heard every word. "You don't listen to me anymore, All you do is scream. If only you would listen to what I have to say," Nyla chokes on her words, taking a deep breath.

"Just listen to her, Mom, Please," Nicole pleads, just as overstimulated as her sister.

Their mother carries a heavy burden, struggling with depression and anxiety for most her life. It's a curse that they all share, it was hereditary. One hand on her hip, the other rubbing her forehead lined with stress, Ruby wonders if the screaming is even worth it. She knows that it was bound to happen someday. As a teen, she knows how Nyla has been trying to navigate through life. It's true that she wasn't ready to take care of a child and has had to grow up faster than usual.

Nyla's lips quiver as tears stream down her stained cheeks. "What have I done for you to hate me?"

"I don't hate you, Nyla . I don't know where I went wrong, but I will tell you this. The life you're living won't stand a chance if you try to raise a child. You're not ready...look at yourself, look where you're headed," Ruby's words carry weight. You need to get it together, and I mean it, right now. Because if you don't, that child will end up just like you. Remember, that baby is your foundation."
Ruby quiet footsteps leading to her bedroom for a moment of respite.

As soon as their mother exits, Nicole rushes to Nyla's side as she slowly sinks to the ground, back against the wall. Nyla understands that her mother is speaking the truth, and it pains her that she may not be able to fulfill the responsibilities of caring for a child. she didn't have the courage and could not face it especially alone. Nyla is faced with a difficult decision, one that might be deemed either selfish or selfless.

"don't worry, i got you Nyla... i promise " Nicole lays her head on her sister shoulder.

Nyla, lost in her thoughts, stares off into nothingness as tears freely cascade down her cheeks, silently acknowledging her sister's words through a subtle nod.

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵
To be continued....

Please Excuse any error they you may have come across

An following update will be posted right after
-Ali