7

"Hey ma, how you doing? You holding up alright?"

"Yeah, when are you coming to visit mi reina? It's so lonely here."

"I'll come whenever I can mami, please stay strong for me."

"Have you found your Prince Charming yet?" Maia's mom says as she coughs through the phone.

"Uh, I don't know about Prince Charming, but I have met someone..."

"Oh, that's wonderful, when can I meet him."

"I don't think we're on that level yet Mami, we haven't even established what we are..."

"Be smart mi amor. I don't want any grand babies before you married."

"Yes, yes. I understand ma."

"I miss you. But I know you will be better off without me. No longer having to live in that shitty apartment."

"Mami, don't say that. Of course I need you. What makes you think I don't?"

Before she could reply to her daughter, the call drops because of the train that passes by Maia's apartment. Maia rolls her eyes, and sets her phone next to her as she turns on her laptop.

"I still can't believe Justin fucking Fields was at this restaurant on my day off. The one time you guys didn't need me." Maia says pissed off, Tina smirks at her.

"Yeah and he was even more handsome in person." Tina replies back causing Maia to roll her eyes.

"What you know about the Chicago bears Mai?" Marcus asks her while taking down his signed picture.

"A lot more than you think Marc. I've been a fan since I was born. My family talks about the '86 bears all the time."

"Oh word." He replies back and fist bumps Maia.

Just then Sydney comes in with a pile of trays and drops them causing Maia and Marcus to look over at her.

"Fuck." Sydney mumbles, Maia is quick to help and hands her back the trays.

Carmy walks behind the register and grabs a sharper and a pizza box to start jotting down ideas for the new restaurant.

Nothing really changed between Carmy and Maia besides the fact that they now know that they liked each other. Neither of them were bold enough to make the first move. Although, the kissed they shared would replay in their minds Every single night.

Occasionally Carmy would invite Maia over to watch movies, or talk about dishes that Sydney was making. Nothing else would ever come from the hang outs though. The most they had done together was make out, then Carmy would kick her out if the kiss got too heated.

Carmy and Maia tried to keep professional during the workdays, thinking nobody would suspect a thing. And yet behinds their backs everyone would be talking about the two as if they didn't have anything better to do.

Some of the staff even had bets on who would make the first move, how many times a day they would look at each other for too long, or even call each other names.

Carmy and Maia were nothing more than best friends, well whatever Carmy could classify as a best friend. Maia felt like they were dating, but she was too scared to ask for clarification, so she was stuck in the best friend loop.

"Alright what do we have." Carmy says as he starts making a list with what they do and don't have for the new restaurant.

Everyone starts to contribute, and even Natalie was contributing to the conversation.