Chapter 9: It Happened Again

Present time

I had figured that wetting the bed a second time would be a lot easier. I was wrong.

Like last night, I was waiting anxiously for the clock to strike midnight.

Unlike last night, the urge to pee was present, but not nearly as overwhelming. While I still had drunk more liquids than normal over the course of the afternoon and evening, I hadn't been as thorough in my hydration as yesterday.

It didn't help that Mom had caught me drinking water in the kitchen. I had planned to drink some water from the bathroom sink, but all it took was one sip of unfiltered water to deter me from doing that. I wanted pull-ups, but not that badly.

Her concern over what I was drinking in the evening could turn out to be a problem, especially as the bedwetting would be turning into a pattern rather than a random one-off occurrence. Perhaps I would be able to get comfortable enough with peeing myself so that I wouldn't need to drink excessive amounts of water to do so.

I'd been lying in bed for about an hour and a half now. The first twenty minutes of that had been spent listening to Chester paw at my door. The cat's efforts at opening the door had thankfully proven to be unsuccessful. He'd probably gone back downstairs to bother my parents. That was followed by the sound of my sister leaving her room momentarily to brush her teeth.

I'd picked one of my least favorite pajama outfits for the night. It was a hand-me-down shirt from my sister. This one had a bit of special significance. It was the same T-shirt she had worn that night when I found out about her bedwetting. That was paired with some pink pajama pants with hearts on them. I wouldn't mind if either the shirt or pants got ruined because of the bedwetting.

I had kept the promise I had made to my parents six years ago. My lips had stayed completely shut. As far as I knew, Grace had no idea that I had ever known about her bedwetting. I hadn't even brought up the subject again with our parents.

If I could make it through the next week or so without Grace catching on, I'd be able to keep this bedwetting secret from her as long as my parents purchased pull-ups for me. I thought back to all the signs that had been present when Grace had been a bedwetter. I knew what I needed to avoid if I were to keep my own secret safe.

That night at my Grandparents' house had been the only time where I had stumbled across evidence of my sister's bedwetting. That raised a lot of questions. Was her bedwetting something that was super frequent at that point, or had she, at the same age I was now, already been outgrowing her bedwetting phase?

But there were other questions that remained unanswered. The fact that there had been laundry washed every morning suggested that Grace either hadn't been wearing pull-ups to bed or that they had been totally ineffective in keeping her sheets dry. Did my parents even realize that pull-ups were an option for my older sister? Or had they – or she – decided that pull-ups weren't how they were going to manage her bedwetting?

But what about that time at my grandparents' place? Yes, Grace had wet the bed on the first night, but as far as I knew, there hadn't been a repeat during that week-long stay. Was it possible that she had worn a pull-up the rest of the nights there?

A lot of those questions could have been answered if I had ever managed to work up the courage to ask my older sister, but a promise was a promise, so I followed my parent's rules even after they had let me know that Grace's bedwetting phase had ended – a move they made one vacation when they had Grace and I share a bed for the first time. I had been greatly reassured, knowing that my sister wasn't going to pee all over me in her sleep.

The telltale signs of Mom and Dad heading to bed had passed twenty minutes ago. It was likely that they were both already asleep by now. Dad's snoring wasn't quite as loud as last night, but I could still make it out occasionally.