Chapter 17: A Hard Pill to Swallow

I stumbled through the front door after being dropped off by the bus on Thursday afternoon.

I let my backpack fall to the floor with a loud bang as soon as I had shut the front door behind me. I was exhausted. It had been another seven hours of struggling to stay awake and focused through what had seemed to be an endless day of end-of-year exams.

The only relief was that I was finished with taking my last test for this school year. Now I had about a week of bliss before my end-of-year grades became available online.

Yes, I still had to go into school tomorrow, but that was just to wrap things up, clean out lockers, and have end-of-year pizza parties. I'd be free from homework, studying, tests, and early morning bus rides for the next three months.

Now, all I wanted to do was sleep.

Grace wasn't anywhere to be seen. But I knew my older sister was home because the minivan she drove had been in the driveway when the school bus had dropped me off. I didn't get what she did while she was shut away in her room all the time.

I took advantage of her absence to drink a glass of water in the kitchen. But with my recently discovered sports water bottle – tucked away in the deepest recesses of the bottom drawer of my dresser – sneaking around to stay hydrated enough to make myself wet the bed wasn't going to be an issue ever again.

Angie and Emma had grilled me about the sleepover again during the ride home from school. That was annoying because I'd already told them yesterday that Mom had said she needed to think about the proposed all-nighter on my birthday a little over a week from now. I was hoping to get an answer about that from her tonight.

Neither of my friends were coming over after school. Angie was busy tonight with preparations for the vacation her family was heading out for as soon as school was out tomorrow. I would have had Emma over this evening, except that she had somewhere to be with her family.

I quickly cleaned the glass I'd gotten a drink from and then dried it off before putting it back in the sink, leaving no evidence behind.

Once in the living room, I kicked off my shoes and collapsed onto the couch.

<><><>

I woke up to Grace furiously shaking my shoulder. I opened my eyes and looked up. She was standing over me with a panicked look on her face.

"Leave me alone," I mumbled, rolling over to not be facing my sister. "I was just taking a nap."

"What in the world are you thinking?" Grace said, her voice sounding rather agitated.

"What do you think? I was taking a nap 'cause I was tired."

"And how do you think Mom would feel about you peeing all over the couch? That's a lot harder to clean up than your mattress?"

I turned back over to look up at Grace. "I wouldn't do that during a nap."

"Well, that's what I thought once, too. Just go to your bedroom if you want to sleep."

I yawned and looked at my phone. It was about twenty minutes since I had arrived home from school, but I felt a lot better even after that quick nap. "I think I'm fine, now."

That did raise another interesting question. Was it common for bedwetters to have accidents if they fell asleep for a brief nap during the day?

And then there was another thought, one I would have to consider later. If being a bedwetter meant sometimes having an accident during a nap, that could create an excuse for me to experiment with peeing my pants more during the day.