I - arrival

"This is bullshit"

Kat looked out the window in disgust as they drove past nothing but grass and fields; a harsh contrast to the lights and bustle of New York City.

She missed it dearly already, it was her home and she belonged there, not some middle of nowhere suburban town.

"Are you ever going to give this a rest?" Her mother asked from the front seat of the car.

To say Kat didn't take the news of moving across the country too well was an understatement. If she had to go then she was going kicking and screaming, she had made her last two weeks in New York a misery for her parents including trashing their apartment with a rager from all the upper classmen from school.

"I'm excited" Dustin noted.

She rolled her eyes at her brother's words, of course he was excited. He was a nerd with no friends so moving to a town where no one knew him was a blessing in disguise. Kat on the other hand was the most popular girl in her year and the life of the party. Girls envied her, guys wanted to be with her and just about everyone wanted to be friends with her and now she had just lost it all.

"It's a nice change of scene, a fresh start" Her dad added.

She rolled her eyes and closed them hoping when she opened them again she would be welcomed by the shiny buildings she loved deeply.

She didn't get it, who in their right mind would want to leave the best city in the world to go live in some boring old town that hadn't even caught up to the trends the year before let alone the current year?

She missed her friends and her boyfriend, they had promised to keep in touch as much as possible through phone calls and letters but she knew it wouldn't be the same. She planned on moving straight back as soon as her final year of school was finished, there was no way she was going to stick around this dump any longer than she needed to.

She wondered what they were all up to, her boyfriend was probably at practice as he sang in a fairly successful band and Kat loved watching him up on that stage all sweaty and sexy while the girls in front row begged for the attention that he would only give to her. It made her feel cool, dammit she was cool. She didn't belong wherever this car was driving her to; she belonged in the city.

After a few more hours of driving they finally pulled up outside what would be their new home. Kat pushed her sunglasses down the bridge of her nose, her lip curling up in disgust at the sight. It looked like it had came out of those boring suburban sitcoms she had seen her mother watching on the television; uniformed, soulless houses all in a row with no personality whatsoever.

"Whoa, it's huge!" Dustin exclaimed.

"You can't seriously prefer this place to our penthouse?" Kat scoffed.

She loved her apartment, her room had floor to ceiling windows of the city to wake her up every morning as well as a walk in closet.

"We can finally have our own yard" He beamed "Maybe we could finally get a dog!"

A dog, she thought. Please. As if this place wasn't going to be annoying enough, she didn't need a hairy animal yapping away all night.

She stepped out the car and stood in the grass, reluctant to even go inside. She watched as her parents lifted in boxes and she didn't bother to help in the slightest, why should she? After all, this was all decided without her consent or knowing and she was expected to be happy about it?

"Can I call Jacob?" She asked walking up to her mom who was deep into the moving van searching for specific boxes.

"Later" She dismissed "You have to help first"