𝟎𝟒

─── ⋅ ∙ ∘ ☽ ༓ ☾ ∘ ⋅ ⋅ ───

「 EVELYN'S POV ; 」

“What’s wrong with you today? You’re awfully quiet,”

Eli’s voice woke me up from my thoughts as we sat in the hotel’s restaurant together, waiting for Ruby to arrive so we could have dinner. We had tickets for the midnight show tonight, still having to keep up appearances as if we were Elvis Presley’s biggest fans.

But in reality, I didn’t know how to feel about the man anymore.

He knew my name. And while he was right when he said the VHA wasn’t exactly a secret operation to vampires, it still struck me as strange. My father’s company had countless employees working for him and every vampire knowing the names of all the hunters was something I simply couldn’t believe.

Elvis knows me.

He could say he didn’t, but he gave himself away when he mentioned my necklace. As far as I could remember, it was a gift from my father. The silver pendant was laced with vervain and even had a tiny bit of the plant inside of it so I couldn’t be compelled.

To a vampire, it would burn to the touch but Elvis hadn’t seem to mind it one bit when he did it last night… and when his fingers had traced my skin, I found myself wanting him to touch other parts of my body too.

It had to be some kind of mind game.

Vampires were good at that, after all.

I could not be weak in front of him. Not like I’d been last night.

“Helloooo? Earth to Evelyn,” Eli whistled, making me widen my eyes a little as I looked at him and let out a soft breathless laugh.

“I’m sorry,” I apologized, taking a sip of my drink. “I’m just tired, that’s all.”

The blonde male in front of me took a drag from his cigarette, raising an eyebrow as if he was suspicious I’d done something I shouldn’t have been doing. I knew by the grin that curled his lips that he was joking, but considering what happened last night, it made me nervous. “Where did you even go? You ran out of there so quickly after that leech kissed you..”

Flashbacks of Elvis spotting me in the crowd and kissing me played before my eyes. His lips had been so soft.. and even when we were going back and forth in his room, I didn’t miss how delicious his cologne smelled.

I mentally slapped myself. Taking another quick sip of my wine, I looked at my friend and playfully rolled my eyes.

“I went for a walk and then went back up to my room. Read up on our beloved singer and his minions.”

I was growing more nervous and uncomfortable at the way Eli was looking at me. Despite his light hearted grin, he didn’t seem to buy my story, or maybe I was just getting paranoid. He was about to open his mouth to speak again until a waiter came by our table and told me I had a phone call. I quickly excused myself and followed the waiter to the phone that was situated by the entrance of the restaurant.