Chapter 1: The Arrival

"We are arriving at Destiny Island's Train Station in less than fifteen minutes. All passengers planning on stopping at this designated station, please be prepared to carry your luggage out of the train. Thank you." You stirred in your seat, yawning and blinking with watery eyes. The train ride had been quiet but you preferred it that way rather than the loud noises you experienced at the airport terminal a few hours ago. You stared down at your acceptance letter one more, clenching it with a hint of pride but more so with intimidation.

 Destiny Islands Private Academy.

 It was one of the most prestigious schools in all of the worlds and coming from an underdeveloped and sleepy town in the Enchanted Dominion, you could not have been more excited to be accepted. The rate of transfers were less than 10 percent; most students have resided in the dormitories for the entirety of the lives beginning from pre-school all the way to university.The area surrounding the academy is also known to be one of the best spots in the worlds; shining beaches, beautiful islands, a mild climate sporting sunny weather all year round. Your parents have been excited albeit reluctant to let you go. 

Since you began to know words, you were already apprenticed to their trade: Mechanics. You spent mornings and afternoons helping out with the modest shop your parents ran and being an only child, they had treasured and cared for you as their most prized possession. They were not entirely too worried letting you go free so early; you were just starting your 2nd year of high school but you were responsible and you knew how to prioritize. But you had never once set foot out of the Enchanted Dominion and rarely were there any tourists in your world. After all, it had only been two decades since the spell on Princess Aurora had been broken by the Prince. Your world was still struggling to get back up on your feet; you were lucky that your father who was originally from Radiant Garden had accidentally crash-landed his jet into your mother's backyard when she was but an apprenticed chemist and the rest was history. 

 Your mother often said that while you inherited her feminine looks, you had your father's spunk and his habit of trying to find a solution to every problem. The first thing you've ever held, supposedly, was a small toy wrench that your father had bought you at a fair. 

 Tracing the emboldened words on the hard cardstock one more time, you slid the DIPA invitation back to its envelope and into your backpack. Most of your luggage had already been sent days earlier so you had nothing but a backpack and a small carry-on to bring. Folding your earphones around your phone and tucking them into a pocket of your backpack, you stared around at the other passengers. Only a few of them were stirring; most were still asleep. You met eyes with a bright eyed blond-haired girl who waved slightly at you. You waved hesitantly back, not certain if the gesture was meant for you. Slipping silently through the few seats that separated you, she quickly took a seat behind you. 

"Hey, I'm Penelo! Are you a student at DIPA too?" 

 She seemed friendly enough and you smiled at how amiable she was being to you, despite the fact that you had an air of "tourist" around you. "I'm a transfer. My name's _____." You took out a hand and she cheerfully shook it.Penelo raised an eyebrow. "A transfer, huh? We don't get a lot of you around here." 

 "So you must be a resident." You observed and she nodded. Penelo smiled. "Adopted, actually. My friend, Vaan, and his brother, Reks, were like family to me, so when we lost our parents to the plaque back in Ivalice, they took me in. Reks became a high-ranking soldier here and he became my legal guardian as well as Vaan's."