Chapter 4: Eye Candy

Your town had a whopping skatepark count of one and it was built a pretty good distance away from your home, so you rarely ever got the chance to see it - let alone enter it.

"It's for your own good, ______. It's not safe for you there." Your parents had warned you forebodingly. They always cautioned you against the kids smoking foreign Paopu seeds or something like that, so you made it a point to stay away.

But the Destiny Islands main skatepark was anything but the dark den of lion and hyenas you once imagined. The park was situated across the beach and the blitzball arena, as Xion kindly pointed out to you.

"Skateboarding tournaments around here are almost as popular as Struggles." Kairi informed you as you entered through the park's gates.

You stared at her quizzically. "Struggles?"

"It's a sport that was popularized in Twilight Town. Fighters use bats and other weapons to score points off of each other. It's basically an all-out sparring match. When the festivals come around springtime, you'll get to see the annual Destiny Islands Struggle tournament. Almost every DIPA student participates." Riku answers you, leaning his tall figure against the brick wall next to you.

"I've almost won a couple of times!" Sora piped in, before Xion tapped on his shoulder and asked if you all had wanted to get some food. You and Riku both shook your heads but the rest of them headed towards the food stands and disappeared among the enormous crowd of people.

"Have you?" You ask Riku out of curiosity, sizing him up unconsciously.

He raised an eyebrow. "Have I what?"

"Ever won?" You lift yourself up on the brick wall to get a better view of the park. You weren't extraordinarily tall and many of the guys that had surrounded your area began towering over you. You scowl when you realize you barely pass Riku by a head despite being a few feet above the ground.

Riku met your gaze and chuckled. "No. But the guy who always does is a pain in the ass. That's him over there." He nods towards the opposite side of the park where a muscular guy in a black beanie sat, knees apart with his chin resting on the palm of his hand. He was flanked by a solemn silver-haired girl and a burly guy in red.

"Seifer's been giving Roxas and Ven the evil eye since we got here." A female voice resounded from the commotion as the announcer greeted everyone from a lifted platform.

Bright blue hair appeared into view and Riku gave her a cool nod of acknowledgement as the girl walked closer to the both of you. She ruffled Riku's hair affectionately to which the boy responded with a frown.

You couldn't help but snicker at the exchange, turning the girl's attention over to you. Her eyes lit up and a wide grin spread across her face. "You must be _______!"

"Didn't realize she was that famous already." Riku mumbled under his breath but you were certain he made sure you could hear because he only smirked at the narrow glare you shot him.

"I ran into Kairi and the others at the food stands. Thanks for helping my little cousins out with their luggage. They're a little bit impractical, you'll see once you spend more time with them. I'm Aqua and I'm a junior at DIPA." She extended a hand which you warmly shook.

"It's nice to meet you," You grin and added, "And it wasn't a big deal. It was more fun than it was exhausting, to be honest."