Chapter Fifty-One: Meditations

Red had been thinking since Narcissa joined up with them.

The blonde was very nice to look at, though Red was more familiar with Sophia and Casia. Novelty was good, especially with how she tied up her hair and showed herself off. What was she going to be like when she was fully grown? Probably something like Lazula, but with more personality.

It didn't really matter, because that was just a distraction. One of a lot of distractions Red had been going through. Ever since Vow had left, Red had lost focus; she'd drifted from one job to another. There had been a lot of good fights, and the pay had been decent.

Not good enough, though.

Red had just been an audience member to great events, not a player in them. Now she was a player; she might get her own Guildhouse.

Red didn't like what she had been thinking one bit. What did she want, really?

Running her own Guild sounded nice. She could order people around and be a lieutenant to Alchives. The Guild would be big in the future, so she could drink and order people whenever she wanted. But she'd probably not be able to fight as much.

And there was Brisgald.

It was a real Dark Lord's castle, designed as a giant skull. Huge walls rose around it on top of a plateau. The towers were high and clawed at the sky like a hand. You'd never think a Paladin ran the place. Waste not.

"There's Brisgald," said Casia. "I can't believe no one has ever taken place by storm. Not even Anoa could do it."

"Sophia, Casia, Red, and my Uncle are great men and experienced campaigners," said William. "Proper respect must be shown to him."

"Yes, I understand," said Sophia.

"I'm the leader; I'll speak if I want," said Red. "But I'll keep it in mind."

Arthur Gabriel was a tall and broad-shouldered man. He had a great blonde beard and wore a fine green cloak contrasting William's crimson. His nephew had the same hair color as him and bore a great two-handed sword in hand.

Red moved forward, feeling a bit self-conscious. She wondered how he would respond to her. Arthur was known as a paragon like nothing else, and if he didn't like the look of her-

He greeted her with a kind nod. "Red Safara, your reputation proceeds you."

"Lord Arthur?" asked Red.

"Indeed," said Arthur, motioning to his men. They came forward to take Cassian, Garrick, and his men. "Word of your victory was brought ahead of you. I commend you for sparing these men, though their actions are terrible. It may be that your efforts may aid us greatly."

"I'm just fulfilling my contract," said Red.

"Take them to the cells that have been prepared," said Arthur. "But do not mistreat them.

"I will make my pleasure known when the time comes. How has my nephew performed?"

"Very well," said Red, glad not to be focusing on her. Arthur's gaze seemed to have a light that illuminated her. "He's good for advice as well as in a fight. I was surprised a Paladin was this smart."

"One does not survive as a Paladin without some degree of cunning," said Arthur with a smile. "Any reputation for stupidity we may have is a result of self-sacrifice.

"Often, one can be mistaken for the other."

"Fair enough," said Red, nervously smiling. She felt like layers were being stripped away like she was malting skin. William had a different kind of the same thing, but it didn't have the same presence. "The mine is open if you want it."