7: Memories

𝘚𝘰𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘪 𝘙𝘢𝘷𝘦𝘯

I knocked three times on the mahogany door as I observed the layout of the business wing. "Please come in."

I twisted the knob as the crisp air prickled my exposed arms. James glanced up from his computer as a smile braced his face.

"Hey, you aren't too busy for a quick chat, are you?" I questioned inching closer to his desk. The fresh amber scent of his cologne invaded my nostrils.

"Not at all, wassup?" He reached in his mini fridge passing me a water bottle. I thanked him as I got comfy in one of the chairs.

"So, with the red-carpet event approaching, I wanted to go over the look book I created."

"Very well" he stood up from his chair and rounded his desk. "I'm sure they all look astounding" I passed him the portfolio as he slowly flipped through them.

"Where did you go to school?" He continued flipping through, nodding his head approvingly.

"University of Arizona" I told him.

"No way, I'm class of '14."

"Okay wildcat" I joked as he chuckled. "I graduated during the pandemic, 2020".

"Dang the virtual graduation, huh?" I nodded.

"Yup, walked across my living room" he chuckled as I smacked my lips. "Mmcht"

"Alright my bad, so you're 24?" I nodded.

"Yessir my birthday recently passed" I cleared my throat before pointing at the folder. "What do you think about them?"

"Oh, I love them, definitely different from other stylist I had in the past" he flipped to a page before passing it to me. "—but this one is by far my favorite." I glanced over at the page, nodding in agreement.

"Something told me you would like that" he rubbed his full beard, closing the folder then sitting it on the desk behind him.

"Solani, I have to be honest" he crossed his arms against his chest as he peered down at me. "I want to take you out to dinner"

I raised an eyebrow surprised as his tongue swiped across his bottom lip. I pointed my finger towards my chest. "Me?"

"Yes if that's alright with you." I stretched my crossed legs in front of me,

"Doesn't Desiobia have a strict dating policy?"

"It was only implemented within the fashion department. We received numerous complaints and lawsuits" my first thought was Peter, he was probably the main complaint. "—the rest of us knows how to keep it professional and leave our relationship problems at home"

"The shade" we shared a laugh.

"Statistically, the fashion department struggles to keep workers but it improved once we implemented the rule."

"Or people knew how to hide it better" He nodded in agreement. "But—"

"But what?" I pressed my lips together as I tried to piece my words together.

"Back to your offer for dinner" I started smiling. "Im more a Mexican cuisine kind of girl" he pushed off his desk smiling.

"I'll make it worth your time" I stood up as he grabbed the portfolio. "I'll see you soon then"

"The ball is in your court let's just hope you make the shot" I took the portfolio out of his hand as he eyed me. "Text me"

❆ ❆ ❆