● Chapter 22 ● Once a brat, Always a brat ●

The sarcastic old man as Niyathi called him, who is now identified as Guru Vashishta was giving her a smug smirk.

Seeing his attitude and behavior she can't say he was the Guru of Lord Rama and his brothers. Lord Rama is so calm and serene while Guru Vashishta is a little mean and sarcastic.

The great Guru looked at her with an deadpanned expression and said, "People change, you brat. You can't expect me to be the same as I was in Treta Yuga. Time changed, people's attitude changed and hence I changed my mentality too. Mahadev knows I need it to survive this bloody Yuga."

He muttered the last part under his breath. Niyathi heard it and raised her eyebrow at the usage of curse words.

She mentally rolled her eyes thinking, 'He can use curse words as much he wants but when I use he breates me!? How is ot fair!?'

Guru Vashishta looked at her amused and said in a serious voice, "Life isn't fair kid. You have to endure it."

She cursed herself in her mind for forgetting that the old man infront of her can read her thoughts somehow. She stopped her thought process and made her mind blank ignoring all the intrusive thoughts and questions.

She then went near him and bend forward to touch his feet. It was painfully hard for her to bend down due to her physical injuries. Not to mention it was super awkward to get blessing from the one you tried to kill.

The former Kulaguru of Ayodhya stopped her midway and dragged her slowly to the bed while scolding her, "Are you mad kid? What is the need to take my blessings now? You know you just returned from the doors of death right? You better take rest and not move around."

She had a warm feeling hearing his concern. She thought, 'Maybe he is not that bad.'

But that thoughts went away quickly as it came as she heard him, "And you don't really have manners kid. Just tried to kill me few minutes ago and now you are asking for my blessings. Not to mention you didn't even apologize for your behavior. What can I say? Once a brat, Always a brat."

Niyathi gritted her teeth in annoyance. This was going overboard right now.

The daughter of Agni said sarcastically, "Well I am so sorry for trying to kill you out of self defense Guru Vashishta. It's not like I was not attacked by Asurs of Rasatala. Silly me for being paranoid."

Guru Vashishta looked at her with amusement. He have to give her credits for not shaking at the sight of him. And moreover she didn't try to cajole him like many would have after learning his true identity.

It seemed nothing could make her control her sharp tongue and sarcastic remarks.

Not even her father.

Not even the Asurs of Rasatala.

Not even the Guru of Lord Rama.

Guru Vashishta remarked, "I like you kid. Many would have tried to get in my good books after learning my identity by faking their personality. But you are something else kid."

Niyathi was surprised by the compliment but nonetheless accepted it. It's not everyday you get a compliment from a renowned Guru. That too from the Guru of Lord Rama.

Guru Vashishta approached her slowly her caressed her head softly minding her injury and said, "Take rest kid. You have to give your body and mind a well needed rest after tour near death experience. Call me or Arundati if you need anything. Don't hesitate okay?"

Niyathi felt herself softening at his king words and nodded slowly. She laid down on the bed while Guru Vashishta adjusted the pillow slowly around her.

He then gave her a small smile and said, "Sleep well kid. May Nidhradevi grant you peace during your slumber."

Niyathi looked at the retreating figure of Guru Vashishta till her disappeared out her sight.

She sighed softly and thought about her situation. She was shocked by the turn of events.

First she was attacked by the Rasatala Asurs whose master want her at any cost. Then she was rescued by an old man who turned out to be Guru Vashishta. And she is currently treated by his wife, Arundati.

Strange isn't it?

It felt like a dream to her. As her thought crossed about the asurs of Rasatala, the fear from that night returned to her in lightning speed.

She will never forget the pure unadulterated fear she felt that night. She wish that she will never feel the same helplessness, the hopelessness, she felt that night again in her lifetime.

What Niyathi doesn't know amd want to accept is that she is definitely traumatized from that night. This will impact her a life a lot.

She really wanted to know the reason why the Asur's master wants her. And she will get to know it.

But not now.

Right now she just needed a good sleep without worrying about anything.

And with that thought the daughter of Agni entered the land of dreams.

Like this days passed. Niyathi was slowly recovering from the aftermath of her near death experience. Though her physical wound was healing  mentally she was not healing properly.

The main problem is Niyathi couldn't even express her fears to anyone. True Devi Arundati and Guru Vashishta are taking care of her but she is not that emotionally attached to them to share her fear with them.

Already she had burdened them enough, she didn't want to burden them more.

Her sleeps were plaqued with nightmares which left her waking up in the middle of night. After that nightmare she got in Panchala, she never got one again until these.

Though they were entirely different both of the nightmares instilled fear in her mind and soul.

She couldn't remember the nightmare clearly but the aftermath of it was quite difficult for Niyathi to handle. The breathlessness, the fear, the unimaginable pain she felt was beyond her capacity to withhold.

It seemed the Asura attack had triggered the once dormant nightmares which was now affecting Niyathi a lot.

These were the times Niyathi really missed her siblings. If they were her she could have shared it with them and maybe she would have felt a little better.

Oh how much she missed them.

Her sister Shikandini would have been caressed head and consoled her. While her Bhratha Dhrishtadyumna would have made her laugh with his silly acts, distracting her from the nightmares. Her sister Draupadi would have been her shoulder to cry on.

Like any other day, Chandradev ascended the sky and it was time for Niyathi to sleep, which was one thing she started dreading the most.

She laid down on the bed and stared blankly at the ceiling thinking about her life. And unwilling she found herself succumbing to sleep where  nightmares awaited her return.

What she doesn't know is, that this night and her single nightmare will change the fate of many.

--
Phew!

Another chapter!

What do you think of this chapter?

Comment below!

What will the nightmare be?

For that stay tuned!

Vote, comment and share if you guys like it!

Ramsri
xx