nine

"but what if i run out of fertilizer?
what if the clouds run out of rain?
what if lemon boy won't grow no longer?
what if beaches dry of sugar cane?"

...

hyunjin's heart skipped a beat when he saw jisung, while seungmin casually greeted minho. "hey lino," he said as he held the door open for him & jisung.

hyunjin scrambled to hide his face as he walked ahead of seungmin, who was still holding the door open. minho greeted him back, & he caught back up to hyunjin, snickering. "didn't you say your friend was busy?"

hyunjin sighed to himself, feeling guilty & regretting not talking to jisung when it was appropriate. seungmin glared at him with a hint of curiousity, taking a band-aid out of the pack.

"seungmin, i'll be right back, excuse me," hyunjin said & ran back into the store. seungmin stood there, band-aid in hand, & scoffed, sitting down on the bench.

hyunjin didn't even know what he was going to do or say, he just wanted to make up with jisung. he saw them in front of the donut case, recognizing jisung's bright smile. hyunjin walked up to him before he could even prepare his words, tapping him on the shoulder.

jisung's smile faded, to hyunjin's disappointment. "jisung, hi!" he tried to lighten the bitter mood. jisung pressed his lips together as hyunjin pulled him to the side to talk.

"jisung, i wanted to say i'm sorry for not at least listening to you yesterday, you're a really good best friend, & i know you just want the best for me, & i was brushing you off, & making excuses, & getting defensive, &-

"hyunjin," jisung places his hands on hyunjin's shoulders to still him, "it's fine, i'm not mad. like you said, i was just trying to look out for you, & i got frustrated. i'm sorry too, & you're a really good best friend too, & i'll always forgive you." a soft smile returned to his face, hyunjin feeling a huge weight being lifted off of his shoulders.

"aw, i love you, bro!" he pulled jisung in for a tight hug, & the other boy continued despite being muffled by hyunjin's shoulder, "but seriously, i do want the best for you, & if anyone gives you trouble i will not hesitate to fight them."

hyunjin laughed softly as they pulled away, whispering now. "so, i see you're here with minho?" he wiggled his eyebrows playfully.

jisung rolled his eyes with a flustered smile, "oh hush, don't act like i didn't see you leave with the reason we argued." hyunjin covered his mouth, pretending to be hurt.

jisung laughed, "but yeah, i'm here with minho. he's buying us donuts!" he squealed in excitement.

hyunjin giggles, "seungmin bought us candy & band-aids-"

"band-aids?" jisung sounded genuinely concerned until hyunjin showed him the small scrape & explained the story. jisung laughed with him, "sounds like something you'd do, anyways, go put a band-aid on that!"

& at that, hyunjin left the store feeling a lot better. he sat down at the bench with seungmin, who handed him his twix bar, in fear it'd melt in this heat.

"thanks," he said again, & as he took a bite of the candy bar, he felt seungmin place the band-aid on his scraped knee. he blushed, looking from his knee to seungmin.

seungmin casually went back to eating his sour candy, looking back at a slightly shocked hyunjin. "what? it'd probably get infected if you left it like that for any longer."

hyunjin shook his head, still blushing. "thanks," he whispered again.