「 PART 1. Egg 」

Kim was trembling, crumbled to the sudden realization of his emotions

Kim was trembling, crumbled to the sudden realization of his emotions. His hands tightly wrapped around his own body as he clung to himself, struggling to maintain a steady breath. He was in the midst of an anxiety attack, they were the one he despised the most. But truth be told, he acknowledged that he needed to be honest with himself. He owed it to himself and more importantly to the two individuals he had sworn to love above all, though ultimately, there was only one. Only him. Only Porchay. His Porchay. And the profound realization that their story held too many "almost" for them to continue pretending.

❖ ❖ ❖

The first "almost" occurred in kindergarten. They were two little kids who had been inseparable since birth, their families always close due to the long-standing friendship between their mothers. The two mothers had been best friends for ages, so it was only natural for their children to share a close bond as well.

"Chay! Chay! Look at this!" The little kid excitedly showed his friends a butterfly.

"Wow, that's pretty! Kim, I want it!" the other little one replied, giggling as he began chasing after the butterfly. However, his pursuit was short-lived as he accidentally stubbed his toe on a rock and fell.

Chay started to cry, and Kimhan immediately abandoned his pursuit of the butterfly to rush to his friend's side and console him.

"Don't cry, Chay!" Kimhan said, hugging him.

"But Chay won't have the butterfly," the little one cried even more.

"I will give you one, okay? So don't cry," Kimhan swore.

"Really?" asked the little one.

"Really," confirmed Kimhan while extending his little pinky finger. "Pinky promise!"

"Pinky promise!" Chay exclaimed, wrapping his little finger around Kimhan's and kissing Kimhan's cheek. "You're the best, Kim!" The two little kids then resumed running around the area, giggling and playing.

The two mothers, watching their children from afar, smiled affectionately. "It's almost as if they've become best friends, isn't it?" remarked one of them adorably.

❖ ❖ ❖

The second, third, and fourth "almost" occurred later, when the two boys weren't so little anymore. They were both discovering the meaning of adolescence, aged 13 and 14, eagerly exploring the nuances of growing up. At this stage, all they desired was to comprehend the true meaning behind the whimsical crushes that fluttered in their hearts.

Chay and Kimhan, found themselves sprawled on the grassy field surrounding the expansive Therapanyakul house. Hidden from view by trees and tall herbs, they existed in a world of their own. Chay, engrossed in playing with blades of grass, lay beside Kimhan, who was sneakily from time to time looking at him. Chay gazed at the vibrant sky, his eyes searching for the elusive butterfly that would captivate his attention.

"Why do you love butterflies so much?" Kimhan said jokingly.

"I don't know, I, I just find them beautiful!" Chay exclaimed.

However, Porchay knew this wasn't the only reason.

"Chay ?" asked Kim after a few minutes of silence.

"Hm?" Chay hummed, looking at the butterfly that had just caught his eye—a white one.

"I want to kiss Ari," Kim said, giggling.

And it was almost as if Chay's heart had stopped beating.

"Oh yeah?! You told her about your crush?" asked Chay, trying not to show his sudden discomfort.

"She said she likes me too!" Kimhan said proudly.

"So what's wrong, kiss her!" Chay said, returning his gaze to the sky and the white butterfly flying around them.

"Don't be stupid, Chay; you know I've never kissed someone!" Kimhan said, a little upset that Porchay wasn't understanding him on this.

"Then what?!" Chay asked, not knowing what to say.

"I don't care about the first kiss; I just don't want to look stupid in front of her!" Kimhan finally ended his statement, clearing all doubts about why he was upset.

They both sighed. Chay didn't know what he was supposed to do here, but he still didn't want to let Kimhan stay like this. He looked sad and upset, and Chay hated it when Kimhan looked like that.

"Then we just have to kiss; like that, it won't be your first kiss, and you will not look stupid in front of Ari!" joked Chay, rolling his eyes.

"Really?" said Kimhan excitedly. "You would do that for me?" Kimhan's eyes sparkled.

"I was just jo..." but seeing how serious Kimhan seemed, he couldn't help it. "Oh, yeah, that's just a kiss anyway!" Chay falsely laughed.

Kimhan nervously shifted his position, covering Chay's entire body with his own. He found it amusing that the weight of his friend on him didn't bother him as much as he had anticipated. Porchay noticed the endearing clumsiness in every move Kimhan made, and as they were about to kiss, he looked nervously at Porchay, hesitating with their newfound closeness. Chay thought it would be funny to tease him "Don't look so nervous when you will kis-..." and was cut by Kimhan's lips on his own. They were kissing. And it was almost as if Chay's heart had stopped beating. Then, as they parted, Kimhan shifted to his side again, before clumsily saying.

"I... I forgot I had to help Kinn with something. See you tomorrow, Porchay!" Kimhan uttered in a rush, hastily leaving.

Chay was left there, lying in the middle of the grass, the sun's rays burning his skin And it was almost as if Chay's heart had ceased momentarily beating, and all the butterflies he had ever seen in his life were now fluttering inside him, playing, dancing, creating a lively and joyful spectacle. But this time, Porchay didn't yearn to catch a glimpse of the butterflies; he cherished the sensation of feeling them inside him. For him too, it was his first kiss.

TO BE CONTINUED