Chapter 6: Where's Your Motivation?

"So...are you really Y/N?" Niko asked.

"And there it is! He's starstruck!" Y/N facepalmed. "You act as if you didn't just see my partner plant a Zapdos into your ceiling, of course I'm me!"

After the authorities had arrived and properly released the legendary bird back into the wild in a safe environment, Niko had taken the gang to his Gym, backup generators running the heating and lights.

"Well I'm sorry for being cautious. Do you have any idea the influence you've while you've been missing?" Niko angrily crossed his arms over his chest. "I swear, the number of times I've had to battle your wackjob fans is infuriating."

"Hmm? Whaddya mean wackjob?"

Silver sighed and brought his hand to his head. "Back home their's a school of impersonation in Goldenrod. They dress like you, talk like you, they even train their own Cyndaquil's."

Y/N stared at Silver, a look of abject horror talking over his features. He said no words, but his expression did all the talking for him.

"Yeah, that's a step too far, even for my standards." Chillie remarked.

Y/N shivered. "Yikes. Is there any reason you decided spook me with that information?"

Niko sighed. "...What the hell happened to you?"

"Huh?" Y/N rose an eyebrow.

"You were on top of the world. The pinnacle of what every aspiring trainer wanted to be." Niko began, an aggressive edge in his voice. "You were an icon. Hell, you still are an icon. Then next thing you know, everyone's shining beacon snuffs out and goes into hiding. So what the hell happened?"

"It's none of your business man. Besides, it's not like the league need Silver and I anyway. Whitney and Morty take care of most challengers, and those that get past them lose to Clair." Y/N explained. "Seriously, what do you expect me to do? Sit in a room all day?"

"Do you know what some people have been saying about you?" Niko stared at Y/N with a determined gaze.

"Daw shit..." Silver muttered under his breath, already knowing what was about to happen.

Y/N looked at Niko in confusion. "Huh?"

"According to online surveys, half of the world's population believe you're career was all a massive government operation. They believe everything was fixed. That you cheated your way to being a Pokemon Master."

Chillie frowned at the information. Anybody who had even the slightest interest in Y/N's career was aware of his naysayers, and it saddened her to no end.

"Me though? I know the truth. Anybody who was there a decade ago had the event burned into their memory. There was a fire in your eyes as you and your partner ran through all the competition."

"Bahin! (The good ole' days!)"

Niko stepped back as a gym trainer brought over a case of pokeballs. "You lit a fire in everyone that day. While I may dedicate my life now to making the lives of everyone in Mecha-nada easier, I'm still a trainer first and foremost. Let me show you what you managed to create!"

"Like I give a shit." Y/N remarked as he turned around, heading for the exit.

"There it is." Silver sighed as he watched Y/N and Judas leave the building. "Sorry about that. He's been...going through some things."

Niko sighed in disappointment. "There goes a once in a lifetime opportunity."

"You're just going about it the wrong way Niko. You gotta get in his good graces first!" Chillie remarked.