Mastermind

Once upon a time, the planets and the fates and all the stars aligned. Izanami. Izanagi. Artemis. The One Star. The colors of the universe. Gods of Death. Whether it was magic, science, fate, divinity, or random luck and chance... You and I ended up in the same room at the same time.

Orange eyes met blue across the way, across the entrance hall of the famous Hope's Peak Academy.

"Hiya! I'm Rika Seto! Third-year! Tour-guide! Welcome!" The orange-eyed, orange-haired girl raced over to Junko Enoshima excitedly, shoving a school brochure, pamphlet, logo sticker, and campus map into her hands before Junko could even blink, let alone process or speak.

And the touch of a hand lit the fuse of a chain reaction of countermoves.

At first, Junko raised a skeptical, disgusted, well-manicured eyebrow, arched and beautiful, perfect and smooth, well-shaped and filled out. This... wildcard of a student may have shared large pigtails and a large chest with Junko, but as far as she was concerned, that was where it ended. This chick radiated idiotic, chaotic energy, and although Junko loved the unpredictable, she loved the Despairful, not the Hopeful. This Rika girl was cringe to the max, ugly and unhip, outdated and overrated, a cliché party-girl that tried too hard to fit the party-girl stereotype.

Whether Junko meant to or not, realized it or not, she began to assess and analyze the inferior girl. Checkmate. I will not lose!

A conversation that wasn't supposed to happen happened anyway, and Rika took Junko by surprise. That much was enough to get the younger girl hooked, and she decided to return the favor, hooking Rika too. Surprising the older, peppier girl, Junko agreed to meet Rika again. From there, a friendship was born, Rika the third-year mentor to Junko's first-year student. At least, that was how it appeared from the outside.

What if I told you none of it was accidental? And the first time that you saw me, nothing was gonna stop me! I laid the groundwork and then, just like clockwork, the dominoes cascaded in a line! Even though it was a beginning born out of an accident, that didn't mean Junko wouldn't take the reins eventually. Once she was in full control, she steered her and Rika's relationship. The moment Junko saw the similarities between her and Rika, nothing was going to stop her. She would have Rika for her collection, no matter what! The Ultimate Analyst knew just how to read her.

What if I told you I'm a mastermind? And now you're mine. It was all by design. 'Cause I'm a mastermind. A cruel, prideful smile twisted across Junko's smooth, flawless, breathtaking, stunning face. Rika smiled back at her, a smile just as big, but far more earnest and honest.

"Say, Junko, I think I really, really, really like you!" she said, wrapping her arm around the younger girl in a chummy way.

"I think, Rika, that I like you too, girlfriend!" Junko spoke softly and smiled sweetly as she leaned in for a kiss, and she felt Rika melt into her.

You see, all the wisest women had to do it this way. 'Cause we were born to be the pawn in every lover's game.

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail," Junko would always say. "Strategy sets the scene for the tale, and there's nothing more I love than a saga!" She never thought she would be the type to enjoy romance or love triangles or petty squabbles, but when the undertones of manipulation, envy, and despair were there? Delicious! Junko was surprised to discover that side of herself, but the rest of it...?

What if I told you none of it was accidental? And the first time that you saw me, I knew I wanted your body! I laid the groundwork and then, just like clockwork, the dominoes cascaded in a line! What if I told you I'm a mastermind? And now you're mine. It was all by design. 'Cause I'm a mastermind. Rika was an open book, heart on her sleeve, so maybe it wasn't impressive that Junko could read her so well. In truth, however, Rika had layers, hidden depths. That was what caught Mastermind Junko's keen eye, sharp mind, and obsessive interest.