17

The evening seemed dull as I prepared for our guests. Sam was busy in her office, while I waited for the food to be delivered. I had no intention of cooking after the long day I had of running errands.

When I heard the doorbell, I was relieved that they were early. I hated tardy guests. Sam popped her head out and pointed to the phone against her ear, before disappearing into her office again.

I opened the door and felt a lump sliding down my throat as I looked at Jamie. "Wow, you look great." I swallowed my self control and looked at her carefully.

"That's nice of you to say. Thank you, Peyton."

I was grateful that Audrey didn't hear me as she walked towards us from their car. "Hello, Peyton. Great to see you," Audrey said.

"Nice to see you too. Come on in," I stepped aside so that they could enter. "Hailey's not here, by the way," I said.

"Oh, I assumed as much," Jamie said. "Love your house."

"Thanks. Sam's on the phone with work. She'll be out soon."

Audrey said, "I'm starting to think you don't have a wife, Peyton," she chuckled.

"Oh, I have one." I walked into the kitchen. "Anything to drink? I've got wine for now. Sam's the cocktail mixer."

"Wine's fine." Jamie said.

"Red or white?" I asked.

"What do you prefer?" Jamie responded.

"White, it is."

I poured three glasses knowing that Sam would be a while. I leaned the glass to my lips as I looked at Jamie lean against Audrey's shoulder. I felt the grip around my glass tighten.

"I like this," Audrey said. "I'm not usually a fan of white wine. But this is nice."

"Sam's the shopper in this department, I just drink," I said. I led them to the patio and we sat down. "Let me get the heat going." I grabbed the lighter and ignited the fire pit.

"Oh, that's nice." Jamie soaked up the warmth and leaned against Audrey even more.

I redirected my eyes to the trees in front of us. I remembered when Hailey would run around when she was little, and I'd sit right there watching her.

"Do you want kids, Jamie?" I wasn't sure what made me ask her a question like that. And I immediately felt regret as I looked at her reaction.

"No, I don't."

"I'm sorry. I was thinking about when Hailey was young and I—"

"It's okay. I've thought about kids, and it's not something I want. I deal with kids everyday, I think that's enough."

I looked at Audrey and she didn't seem impressed with Jamie's answer. I guess they disagreed on that.

"I understand," I said. "I've always wanted kids. Since I was a little girl. I'm an only child so, I wanted at least three kids, but, you know, I've got one, and it is enough."

"Never got a chance to have more?" Audrey asked.

"Sam didn't want another, and I'm content with the one we have. Hailey is more than enough to keep me occupied."

"She's all grown up now," Jamie said.

"I know. Soon it'll be just me and Sam in this big house."

The thought of Sam and I living alone made me anxious. We needed a buffer. I wasn't sure how we'd get along without one.

"It's never too late." Audrey said. "You can always have another."

I smiled at the idea. "Not if Sam has anything to do with it. I promised her no more kids a long time ago."

We went silent for a while, as I thought about having another kid. It was the last thing on my mind. But the idea still sounded nice.

"Okay, I'm finally free from work." Sam walked out to us. "I'm sorry for the wait, honey."

"No worries." I stood. "Sam, this is—"

"Jamie," Sam said. "Nice to finally meet you."

Jamie smiled at her. "And this is my girlfriend, Audrey."

They exchanged formalities when I heard the doorbell. "That must be dinner. I'll be right back," I said.

When I came back to the patio, I hoped that Sam was on her best behavior. Jamie was sitting silently, as Sam and Audrey spoke.

It seemed as though they knew each other from the way they talked, but I pushed the thought aside. "Hungry, anyone?" I asked.

Sam said, "honey, can you and Jamie set up dinner while Audrey and I chat?" I thought it was odd, but didn't question it.

"Sure."

Jamie followed me very willingly into the kitchen. I felt her eyes on me as we walked and wondered why she was staring at me.

"I would have made something but I ran out of time," I said.

Jamie shrugged. "I love Mediterranean food. No worries, Peyton."

I glanced at her again. She really was attractive.

"The table's already set. Mind helping me re-plate everything from the boxes onto these platters?"

Jamie nodded and followed my lead. When we were finished, I poured her and I more wine.

"You look very nice too, Peyton." Jamie mentioned as she sipped her wine. "I mean, you've always been attractive. I remember the boys in our class would go crazy."

I blushed. "Maybe back then. I've aged a lot since then," I said.

"I think you look even better."

I laughed. "You're just saying that because you prefer older women."

Jamie turned away to hide her own blush. "I think everyone thinks so, Peyton."

Her eyes met mine and I felt warmth travel into my chest. "Thank you."

Audrey walked in with a frustrated look on her face. "Jamie, can we talk?"

Jamie followed Audrey to the patio, while Sam walked towards me. "I love you." Sam kissed my cheek.

"What did you two talk about?" I asked.

"Oh, she wanted to know where I bought the wine from. And I ended up telling her about my trip to France. That's all."

"Okay." I looked at the nervous look on Sam's face. "Are you hungry?"

"Yeah. Starving."

I felt uneasy because Sam was acting strange.