24

1 month later

Looking at my young daughter, I felt the urge to tell her how much of a horrible person Sam was. How she cheated, lied and assaulted her body in front of countless eyes. That I wasn't the bad person. That she shouldn't hate me for wanting a divorce.

But I wouldn't.

Sam was still her mother. And I wouldn't start a pattern of talking badly of her.

"Mom, are we done here?" Hailey asked.

I nodded. "Yeah, I guess we are."

"Sure. I'll see you tomorrow, I guess."

Being away from Hailey had been the hardest part of my divorce. But she was a teenager and barely wanted to spend time with me anyway. I pulled my reluctant daughter in for a hug and soaked it in for as long as I could.

When she pulled away, I felt a piece of me was taken with her.

"I'll call you tomorrow? Please answer, okay?"

"I'll try, Mom."

Hailey left my office and I felt a void inside of me. The divorce was finally finalized. And I wanted to crawl into a hole and stay there for a long time.

We were selling the house to fairly split our assets. Sam was lucky that I wasn't as selfish as she was.

Eighteen years of my life had ended so quickly. I was divorced.

I didn't like it. It made me sad. It made me wonder if I'd stay single or get into another relationship.

I couldn't fathom the idea of being with anyone else.

Not even Jamie.

I couldn't stand the thought of being intimate with anyone.

I left my office and walked past Jamie's class. I peaked in and saw her quietly reading something. I smiled knowing that I didn't let my desire for her ruin my values.

Unlike Sam, I didn't believe in cheating. I even considered the thought alone to be wrong.

And I was wrong. For ever having feelings for someone that wasn't my wife.

But I could at least say that I wasn't unfaithful.

I walked down the hallway, and smiled proudly at myself.