22

The next day, I got ready for work before the crack of dawn and left before Sam could notice me. She slept on the couch once again.

I sat in my car in the school's parking lot and cried until I was ready to face the world.

I thought about my daughter and how she was going to be affected. I had the urge to stay in my marriage at least until she went off to college. But I didn't know if I could.

I noticed Jamie walking towards my car, but she stopped and looked at me through the windshield, before turning and walking away.

I didn't blame her.

I wouldn't want to talk to myself either. Sam blew up my phone with messages but I refused to respond to her.

All I could think about was my daughter. And how the divorce would affect her.

When I heard the knock on my windshield, I was startled. I wiped the tears from my eyes and noticed Jamie. She opened the door and sat down in the passenger's seat before I could react.

"I wanted to apologize again," Jamie said.

"Okay?" I mumbled, still wiping my tears.

"We don't ever have to talk about this again. And I won't talk to you unless it's regarding work, is that okay with you?"

"Why?" Was all that escaped my lips.

"I overstepped. And I think it's best that I stay away from you while you're working on your marriage."

"Jamie, you don't—"

"I need to. For my sake too." I saw the weakness in her eyes, as though she was waiting for me to stop her.

But I wouldn't.

I had too much going on to lead her on. I wouldn't do that to her.

"Thank you for being respectful, Jamie. I'll be professional, as well."

"Okay." Jamie looked into my eyes and I almost gave in to her. "I guess I'll see you around, Miss Aspen."

Jamie opened the door and left.

I didn't say another word. I knew it was for the best.

But that didn't stop me from crying even more.