14. Bad Student, Bad Teacher

"No... No...Nope," Dow shook her head, "This has nothing to do with me. I didn't ask you to hook him on me like I am some sort of... of.." Dow released a roar of rage and kicked the wall, "I don't know. I am not going to run around trying to find some voodoo fairytale book that should save his life. You didn't take my permission. I am out"
In the background, Prince was banging at the hut's door attempting to break it, regardless of how many times Dow assured him that she was fine. He was convinced that she was being forced to say so.
"Next time, I'll do some interviews," Sal was leaning on one hoof with arms crossed over his chest.
Dow searched Sal for any sign of apprehension of her rejection, but couldn't find any. "Wahag said you took something in return. You should be the one saving him," She mirrored Sal's arrogant stance.
Sal smiled, "Okay, I hope you have a good spot to bury him. Find a sunny spot. Fire beings like it warm."
Another loud bang came from outside, Prince was now using a log trying to breakdown the door.
"Can't we just open the darn door?" Dow was more irritated at Prince.
"Sure, but everyone will faint and when they wake up, they will all faint again." Sal said indifferently.
Dow leaned her head on the hut's wall, "PRINCE, I SAID I AM FINE!"
"Don't worry, Dow. I won't be fool. I will get you out of there." Prince's nervously replied.
Sal and Dow sighed synchronously, then Sal shifted his stance to a more approachable one, "All you have to do is go to the cave left behind by the chosen ones, get the book. I will even tell you exactly where the cave is. Easy!"
"Easy? To walk days in these infested woods, is EASY?? Then, why don't you go and get it." Dow fired back.
"Well..." Sal cleared his throat, "I have better things to do."
"You can't cross these woods, can you?" Dow pulled at his thoughts like a loose string in a knitted jacket.
Sal snorted, "Watch yourself, little girl." The shift in Sal's expression silenced Dow and made her swallow. Sal sighed, "Okay. I know when I am overstaying my welcome." The door flung open and Prince came flying in. He stumbled and fell into Sal's arm. He glanced up and Sal smiled, and in a short moment, he passed out. Sal released him and Prince hugged the dirt with a thud.
Sal paused a step ahead of the door, "Oh and for the eulogy, don't forget to mention that he saved that boy you all love so much." Sal waited for his words to settle, "Also, It's a petty that he never told you how he did it."
Dow, who was hovering over Prince trying to figure out how to wake him, was now staring unknowingly at Wahag. A heavy feeling settled in her chest.
"You have till tomorrow morning, little girl. I personally would like it if you don't waste my kindness," Sal added.
Dow turned to fire at him that it's obvious that he will be gaining something out of it, but Sal was no where to be found. Dow even hurriedly stepped out of the hut and looked around, but he didn't leave even footprints to be traced by.
That night, everyone wanted to celebrate Dodi's recovery. Few of them tried to get Wahag to join in, but he slept through dinner time and only woke up few hours after.
The first thing Wahag saw when he opened his eyes brought him a feeling he didn't know about. Tears swelled up in his eyes at the sight of Dodi hovering over him.
"He is awake! He is awake!" The little boy announced with every part of his being.
"Shhh..." Dow warned unable to hold back a smile. "Everyone is sleeping."
Dodi threw himself at Wahag who unconsciously wrapped his arms around him and stroke his curly hair. But Dodi quickly pushed back, "Prince told me that you saved me!"
Wahag sat up, "God allowed me to. In this world, nothing happens without his permission."
"Dodi, I said you can wait with me till he wakes, now you have to go to sleep. Let's go." Dow held the boy's small hand in hers, but Dodi pulled away and threw himself at Wahag one more time. Wahag held him close and basked in a warm feeling. There was a desire in him to never let go, which oddly made him smile at himself. Dow took Dodi to a different hut and returned with food.
"That Sal... being said that if we don't find the cave and get that book, you will die soon, even if I stay close to you." Dow said as Wahag was finishing his food.
Wahag gave an unsure nod.
"He said it's at the north edge of the woods, that would take us three days walking. It's tough trek up to the mountains. And, I don't know if the only creatures out there are the hounds." Dow rambled on without having a point.
Wahag swallowed and his ears burned. It wasn't enough that he was latching on to a human's energy for survival, he also needed that person to risk their life for him.
"Sal will probably be here tomorrow morning to hear your decision, I will talk to him. There must be a way for me to go on my own," Wahag could hear his own lies.
Dow hugged her legs to her chest and was silent for a moment before she said, "How do you know when the hounds are coming? And how did you save Dodi?"
"I guess you must have already heard from Sal that I am not human. I am jin in a body that was abandoned by its owner." Wahag felt exposed, but didn't feel like sharing the part about being an angel. He couldn't feel any further from those days anyway.
Dow nodded in apprehension. "Is it something only someone like you can do?"
"No, I might be better and quicker at it, but humans can probably do it too."
"Okay," Dow nodded to herself, "You can show me how its done, right?"
"I can show you how to harness whatever God has already given you. I can't promise what you don't have," Wahag's sincerity echoed through his voice. Dow's eyes clung to Wahag's face, which made him in return feel something in his chest burn and he couldn't help but look away.
Dow's eyes roamed around the room, "Fair enough. I will take you to the caves in return you have to teach me everything you know."
Wahag nodded hesitantly. Dow gave him a weak smile, "Okay. Get some rest."