𝟓. 𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐭?

✦ ─ ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ ─ ✦

✦ ─ ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ ─ ✦

The next morning, William was gently roused from his slumber by the rhythmic knocking at the front door. The soft rays of dawn filtered through the curtains, casting a gentle glow on the room. As he slowly emerged from the embrace of sleep, his surroundings gradually came into focus. Leo was already at work, leaving William to answer the door on this quiet morning.

With a yawn and a stretch, William extricated himself from the cozy warmth of his bed. The creak of the floorboards echoed through the stillness of the house as he made his way to the door, his steps measured and deliberate in the early morning hush.

His tousled hair and sleepy eyes reflected the lingering embrace of dreams as he descended the staircase. The wooden steps yielded to the gentle pressure of his weight, the house echoing with each footfall. The soft patter of his footsteps was accompanied by the distant murmur of raindrops against the windowpane, a reminder of the previous night's storm.

Reaching the door, William opened it to reveal the gray morning light and Mary on the other side. The cool breeze whispered through the open doorway, bringing with it the scent of damp earth and petrichor. William, still caught between the realms of dreams and wakefulness, rubbed his eyes as he greeted the day and whatever awaited him beyond the threshold.

"Good morning, William," Mary greeted with a warm smile as she stood at the doorstep, her presence bringing a sense of comfort to the quiet morning. William, still in the haze of sleep, reciprocated the greeting with a gentle, "Good morning," his voice carrying the soft lilt of his British accent.

With a nod of acknowledgment, William invited Mary inside, closing the door behind her to shut out the remnants of the early morning chill. The living room welcomed them with the cozy familiarity of home. The soft glow of dawn filtered through the curtains, casting a gentle ambiance in the room.

They settled on the plush couch, the upholstery providing a comfortable perch for their morning conversation. The rhythmic patter of rain against the windows provided a soothing backdrop, creating a serene atmosphere within the confines of the cozy living space.

Mary, with her warm and caring demeanor, initiated the conversation, perhaps a blend of concern and genuine interest in how William was holding up. The air was filled with a sense of understanding and support as they navigated the quiet moments of the early morning, wrapped in the comforting embrace of a shared space.

Mary, observing the vulnerability in William's tired eyes, placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "William, whatever I'm about to say, I need you to stay calm," she requested, her voice steady and supportive. The weight of her words lingered in the air, and for a brief moment, the room seemed to hold its breath in anticipation.

Mary took a deep breath before sharing the news with William, her eyes reflecting a mixture of relief and concern. "William, yesterday Georgie woke up. The doctors called me immediately, and they mentioned that a young boy had left just a few moments before Georgie regained consciousness. I knew that boy was you," she explained, her tone filled with understanding and warmth.