🦕ྀི (III)

Chapter Three

[Y/N POV]

Ben retches into the ocean, and I rub his back soothingly.

"Hey, hey. It's fine, Ben." I say soothingly, patting and rubbing his back for comfort.

He nods weakly, his head lifting up a bit, but then it immediately ducks down again, spewing vomit into the water.

And... now I feel like puking myself. At least I don't have emetophobia. That would've made it much worse. Instead, I pinch my nose and look away.

"Welcome to Isla Nublar, campers." The male councillor with a bright red shirt and yellow bandanna says, bouncing on the tips of his toes. "You are the chosen few, the first kids in the entire world to ever experience the awesomeness that is Camp Cretaceous"

He stands up straight, lays his hands behind his back formally and starts to pace, as I gently drag Ben with me back to the other teens, who are also standing on the deck, listening attentively to the man.

"I know the trip from the mainland was rough on some. Hello, Ben." He says, smiling. Ben smiles back weakly, and retches again. I just give the man a thumbs up.

"But you made it!" he exclaims. "I'm Dave, head counselor." Dave proudly tosses his head. "You heard that correctly—— head honcho, big shot."

Tires screech as a large truck skids on its wheels and stops in front of us.

A woman in an identical shirt with Dave steps out, the wind ruffling her pony-tailed hair.

"Ah. So sorry I'm late." she says in a thick accent. "Welcome campers! I'm Roxie, head counselor of Camp Cretaceous."

Our eyes flit to Dave.

He chuckles awkwardly. "Well, it's sort of a co-head counselor sort of thing."

"Is it?" Roxie raises an eyebrow at him, and he clears his throat loudly.

"Anyway, some of you won contests to be here, some of you had VIP invites, but for the next two weeks, all of you will be getting the five-star treatment!"

One of the girls, the one with the pink hair, turns her phone towards us. The dark-skinned boy waves cheerily at the camera, and I do the same. Ben smiles unsurely at it. The girl with the high ponytail hides her face, and the Texan girl beams brightly.

These people seem nice. Maybe I could fit in, for once.

"As our first campers, you all will get to experience exclusive behind-the-scenes tours of Jurassic World."

Ben gulps loudly, wincing.

"As well as kayaking, rock climbing, obstacle courses, and of course..."

"Dinosaurs?!" me and the dark-skinned boy excitedly finish.

We both look at each other in surprise, and laugh a little.

Finally.Someone who understands my love for dinosaurs!

"Yes, Darius and Y/N. Plenty of dinosaurs."

"So you're Darius? Nice to meet you." I shake his hand enthusiastically.

He smiles back. "It's nice to meet you too, Y/N."

"So, ready for an adventure?" Roxie and Dave excitedly ask.

"Absolutely!" The pink-haired girl says. "But I'm gonna need that speech a little shorter, and try to lean into the majesty of this place."

We all pause, giving her strange looks.