✨ CHAPTER 9 - HOW UNBELIEVABLY STUPID ✨

✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨

✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨

Shouting their names we continued out into the wide corridor, searching as we did.

"Jed!", "Octo!", "Jed!", "Jedediah!". Walking slightly ahead of the group beside Ahk I spotted a small, red piece of fabric blowing on the floor. Stopping in my tracks, everyone else doing the same.

"Oh, no." Teddy breathed. 

We all hurried over to see a vent in the floor. Larry lowered down pulling, what I assumed was Octavius' cape, from the vent. 

"Is that Octavius' cape?" Nicky asked worriedly. Our solemn faces were his answer. 

"Here." Larry softly said to Ahk passing him the tablet. "Nicky." He gestured for him to help him lift the crate over the vent. 

"Yeah." Nicky immediately lowered to help. They uncovered the vent allowing everyone to peer down.

"Guys?" Larry called down. Hearing no answer "Jed?" He tried.

"They won't last long in those heating vents. Lawrence." Teddy informed with worry.

"At their size, they'll bake like tiny little scarabs in the Sinai." Ahk said nonchalantly. We all turned to him with both concerned and weirded out faces. He looked around at us all "Too dark?" He questioned innocently.

"Just a bit mate." I said patting him on the shoulder, turning back to Larry waiting for his plan of action.

He stood up and turned, walking towards what looked to be a control panel. He tried prying it open with his hands but failed so took a more sensible route. Slamming his elbow into the glass.

Once he gained access to the system he powered it down, turning back to us, brain forming a plan, a mile a minute.

The rest of us stood over the vent while Attila continued shouting their names. "Jedo!", "Octo!". He sighed in defeat and turned to us shaking his head.

"They could be anywhere between here and the intake vent." Larry said as he made his way back to us. 

Dexter climbed into the vent making Larry ask deep in thought "What do you see, Dex?".

"You know he's a monkey, Lawrence. He can't talk." Teddy said as a matter of principle.

Larry looked up at him "No, but he can fit. Nicky give me your phone." He said, an idea forming in his head.

Nicky complied but with a confused look said "Why?".

"For Dex." He said casually, standing and walking over to the broken display on the floor.

Lancelot piped up "I don't understand one thing here." Looking over at Attila for answers, getting a shrug in reply.

"Yeah. No. I don't either. Dad what's going on?" He said both confused and shocked, following his dad to get a straight answer.