Chapter Twelve

I've never felt more panicked in my life. Being on the run from the most dangerous man alive for nearly two years just—it just worries me. What if he eventually catches up? I'll tell you what will happen. He'll kill me and Whiskey both! I don't want that to happen, and with this burden of panic bearing down on my shoulders, it might just make it easier for Balor to catch up.

And quite frankly, that scares me.

It scares me that someone so dangerous and so cruel is hunting me and Whiskey down with a vengeance. I know what Balor is capable of, and I know that if either Whiskey or myself slips up just once, then the world—as we know it—will be over. Balor will gladly swoop in and take over, destroying absolutely everything in his path, all because Whiskey and I wouldn't be able to stop him.

That's what scares me...and it'll continue to scare me until Balor is dead. And I'll gladly make sure that he's dead when I personally escort him to the gates of the darkest Hell known to man.

As these thoughts circled in my mind, Whiskey and I zoomed away from the lodge and went deeper into the heart of downtown Denver. Sure, Balor may find us here, but if we run him and his goons out of here for now, then Whiskey and I would be in a better place.

"Do you think it'd be better to hide in the downtown area?" Whiskey asked.

I shrugged. "It seems like our only option."

"Sugar, that isn't our only option," he said. "There's more out there. And personally, I think that we should make a mad dash out of here."

"For what reason? So Balor and his goons could win again?" I asked, my voice slightly rising in an angry tone. "If we run out of here, then Balor's gonna think that we don't have a backbone, and that we're too scared to fight back. That's only gonna give him an advantage in this war."

I could tell that Whiskey was getting more frustrated by the minute, as he and I are having a conflict of interests again. "But if we scurry out of this town while we can, sugar, then we can buy ourselves more time to fight back!"

"But Balor will also have more time to prepare!" I shouted. "The more we keep runnin' from him, the stronger he gets. And quite frankly, I'd like to knock him down while we still can."

"But, Rocky, we're depleted right now. We're weaker than what Balor is," he said, "and considering that fact, running from him is our best option right now. If we don't run, then Balor will snatch us up and leave us for dead!"

"Why do you always fight me on this?" I asked. "Balor thinks we don't have a backbone, so our best option is to stand up and fight ba—"

"No, it's not, Rocky!" he shouted. "We fight back while we're knocked down, then we might as well step out of Balor's way because he's gonna stomp all over us."

I exhaled angrily. "You don't understand, Whiskey!"

"Oh, I perfectly understand," he screamed. "We fight back, and Balor's gonna romp all over us."

"It's not like we're weak," I said angrily. "We can fight back! But I just—I just don't understand. What are so fucking afraid of!?"

"Losing you!" Whiskey exploded.

He definitely struck a nerve while saying that. Well, he struck one of my nerves saying that. I didn't know what to say next. I mean, what could I say next? I don't want to make Whiskey angrier than he is now, and it seems like anything I'll say will make him even more frustrated with me. This is the time in which I have to tread lightly and think closely about what I want to say next.

"I'm afraid of fucking losing you!" Whiskey shouted again. "I already lost one love of my life to some dangerous scoundrel...And I'm not gonna let that happen again. Ever!"