Chapter Fourteen

From what I could tell, Las Vegas does a damn good job at using bright lights to overshadow all the bullshit Whiskey and I have to deal with. It's amazing at using its lights to distract me from the fact that Balor is hunting us down like animals. Animals who seem helpless but, in reality, actually have a backbone and are willing to fight back at any chance they get. In this case, Balor is the sadistic hunter with homicidal tendencies, and he'll stop at nothing until he gets what he wants.

Even if it means wiping out the entire world to achieve that goal.

One thing's for sure...I ain't gonna let that happen. Not even in the slightest. The world, yes, is a cruel place. I'll admit that. But it still doesn't give anyone the right to burn the entire globe to the ground! Sure, I get angry at the world all the time, but do I go and set it ablaze because of my anger? Hell no! That's why I want to stop Balor before hell freezes over more than it already has...because no one living innocently on this goddamn Earth deserves to be burned all because of one person who can't reasonably control their anger.

I had just gotten out of the shower and felt refreshed after a long run from Denver. I would've expected Whiskey to join me so that we didn't waste water, but I know how much of a gentleman he is. He holds a high amount of respect for me and knows all too well about respecting my boundaries. I guess that's how much of a southern gentleman he is and how high he holds respect for women.

He was sitting on one of the sofas in the room, nonchalantly staring blankly into the space ahead. It was like he was deep in thought. So deep that it didn't seem like nothing could snap him out of his daze. But once I walked into his view while fixing up the towel I had wrapped around me, Whiskey glanced over to me and immediately snapped out of it.

"Hey there, gorgeous," he said, immediately getting up from the sofa to meet me.

I smiled, but only enough to not show my teeth. "Hey," I responded cheerfully.

"How was it? The shower?" he asked.

I ran my tongue along the inside of my mouth. "Well, it was disappointing because you weren't there. But it was absolutely refreshing, so it wasn't a total bust."

"I would've joined you, but I'm still keeping up my promise of respecting you two years later," he smiled, "and that means respecting your boundaries as well."

"No way you're still keepin' that promise after two goddam years," I said out of disbelief, my voice rising to a squeaky pitch.

He nodded slowly. "Way," he said simply.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Whiskey had been keeping a promise we both made to each other over two years ago. To be honest, I thought he'd forget about that promise after about six months or so. But to hear him say that he still kept that promise just—just made my heart happy.

"I—I—I don't know what to say," I said as happy tears slowly filled my eyes. "You kept that promise? After all this time?"

He smiled, nodding slowly and not breaking his gaze off me. "Always and forever," he said sincerely and simply.

At this point, the tears that were building up in my eyes had started to slowly pour out. I wasn't sad. Rather, I was extremely grateful. Grateful for Whiskey and his strong, genuine, undying love for me. I'm eternally grateful for him for multiple reasons, including the all-important inadvertently saving my life bullshit. But in this case, it's a good type of bullshit that I'm willing to deal with for the rest of my life.

He softly placed his hand on the left side of my face, his coarse and calloused fingers coursing my jawline and cheek ever so gracefully. His touch had sent electricity coursing through all the veins and arteries in my body, and I was fighting for my life so I didn't go and fuck him right then and there.