Chapter Six

Soon came Sunday, which was pretty much the start of a new week. However, it sure doesn't feel like a new week. Considering that it's a mundane routine to stay incognito and keep running from Balor, I'm on the verge of going insane. It's a good thing that Whiskey keeps me in check, though. If not for him, I would've driven myself off a cliff by now.

But today was the day that Whiskey and I would go to a Titans football game. My first away game in quite a while. I hadn't been out of state in a long time. Not since I was fairly young, around upper elementary or middle school age. The family went to Miami because my uncle Derrick got us tickets to a Titans game there, and since it was during my Thanksgiving break, my family and I decided to go.

Since then, we haven't really been out of the state of Tennessee.

It wasn't a terrible drive for Whiskey and I to get to the stadium, and we even got special parking because of our status, not just on a governmental level. We also had a great status because of our relationship with my uncle, who's one of the top guys behind-the-scenes in the NFL.

"Remember, sugar. If they ask what government agency we work for, we say—" Whiskey said.

"We can't disclose that information because it's a federal offense," I said.

Whiskey nodded. "They'll most likely ask about our status with your uncle, so what do we say if they ask that?"

I sighed. "Derrick Crawford is my uncle, and he's the athletic director for the Tennessee Titans organization. I can put him on the phone if you want to confirm, but he said that we get all the VIP amenities available."

"Very good, baby," he said as we got out of the truck.

Before we went in, I slipped my Titans jersey—of number twenty-two, Derrick Henry, of course—over top of my long-sleeved black t-shirt before following Whiskey inside the stadium. Even though no backpacks were allowed in the stadium, Whiskey and I got the exception because of our jobs.

"Badges please," the person at the gate said.

Whiskey and I flashed our VIP badges, which meant that I could start my spiel. "Veronica Crawford, government agent. This is my partner right here."

"And what government agency do you work for?" the person asked.

I smirked. "We can't disclose that information. It's considered a federal offense. However, we did get granted special access to certain amenities because of our relationship with Derrick Crawford, the athletic director of the Titans organization."

"Mm hmm," the ticket person said. "And how are you related to him?"

"I'm his niece," I simply answered.

The ticket person's eyes widened. "Your uncle is Derrick?" Afterwards, I nodded to confirm that fact.

Eventually, Whiskey and I were allowed to pass, so that we could go onto the field for pregame access. With all these amenities that Whiskey and I got, it made me realize that at this point, we were being treated differently than the others. Like we were being privileged just because we work for the government.

Once we got onto the field, Whiskey and I watched as the players warmed up for their imminent game. It was definitely an experience that felt so surreal to me, like I died and went to heaven, almost. It was especially surreal when I caught a glance of Derrick Henry warming up. I was completely mesmerized, mainly because I'd never seen such a sight before. I've never seen NFL players—let alone one of my favorite ones of all time—warm up on the field in real time. I'd only seen them through a television screen. So seeing Derrick Henry warm up in real time was just simply amazing to me.