Switch Gone Wrong

Chamberg

"What are we doing here, Alex?" Asked Max. "We need to do this in a dark room, and it's not dark enough to perform this quick spell in the apartment." Said Alex. "Oh, that explains the lantern you have there. And what's up with the blanket?" Asked Justin. "I'll explain in a minute. Odette, what's the darkest part of the castle?" Alex asked. "The cellar." Said Odette, who's inside Amanda's body. "But the lights are always on down there." Said Amanda, who's inside Odette's body.

The Russos exchange a glance. "Maybe we can turn the lights off." Justin said. "Good idea, Justin. But let's make sure we turn them on when we're done." Odette said. "Roger that. Odette, lead us to the cellar." Max said. Odette, who's inside Amanda's body, nods. The group of five all head in the direction of the cellar. Once everyone was there, Alex finds some room to put the blanket down. "The floor is kinda filthy, but you came prepared, sis." Said Justin.

"I'll get the lights." Said Max. He does just that while Alex lays the blanket down. "Alright, girls, have a seat on the blanket." She said. The two sisters do as they're told. "Now what?" Amanda asked. "Um... you might wanna sit across from each other." Said Alex. The girls shift their sitting positions, then Alex turns the lantern on, placing it in between Amanda and Odette.

Justin closes the door to the cellar once everything was in place. "Is there anyone coming?" Asked Amanda. "No, the coast is clear." Justin said. "But we should probably put something on the window just in case." Max said. "I'm with Max. Otherwise if someone does come down here, suspicions will arise." Alex said. Max suddenly gets an idea. "I'll levitate one of these boxes." He said. "Perfect! It can block the window while we work." Said Odette.

Max uses his wand and casts a levitation spell on a box, then moves it in front of the window of the door. "Great, now we can start." Said Justin. "Odette and Amanda, hold hands and look into each other's eyes." Said Alex. "Make sure your arms are above the lantern." Said Max. The girls follow the instructions they're given. 

"Is something supposed to happen?" Odette asked. "Just relax, pretend you're looking into a mirror." Justin said. The two sisters continue looking into each other's eyes. "I feel weird." Amanda said. "That's good, you're starting to disassociate." Alex said. "Then what?" Asked Amanda. "Once you're both disassociated, you can transcorporate." Max said. "How do we do that?" Asked Odette. "Don't worry, your souls know what to do." Said Alex.

As the process continues, a scared expression appears on Amanda's face. "What's wrong?" Odette asked. "Sorry, I thought I heard something." Amanda said. "Was it Paul or Derek?" Asked Odette. "Just keep looking into my eyes." Said Amanda. Odette starts to breathe heavily. "I can't do it!" She cried. "Yes you can, we're sisters!" Amanda said. 

The lantern starts to flicker, then it suddenly snaps to black. "What just happened?" Asked Max. "I don't know, maybe the batteries died." Said Justin. Before Alex could pick the lantern up, the light turns back on. "That was a little unsual." Alex said. "When was the last time you changed the batteries in that thing, Alex?" Justin asked. "Yesterday. It burned out while I was looking for a pencil I dropped in the dark." Said Alex. "But why did it flicker just now?" Max asked. Alex just shrugs her shoulders. 

Amanda looks down at herself once the Russos turned their attention to the two sisters. "Did it work?" Asked Justin. "I think so." Said Amanda. Her voice is back to normal. "Hey, you're back in your original body!" Said Max with a smile. "You're right! How do you feel, Odette?" Amanda asked.

Odette didn't say anything, she's just staring in space. "Odette? Are you okay?" Justin said. Still, no words come out of Odette's mouth. "Odette? Odette!!" Cried Amanda while shaking her sister. No matter how many times Odette's name was called, she didn't say a word, nor did she move a muscle. "Odette, can you hear us?" Max asked. All Odette is doing is blankly staring. "It worked for Amanda, but why didn't it work for Odette?" Alex asked. "Whatever the case, we need to figure out what's wrong." Amanda said.

It's official, the body switching ritual officially backfired. Although Amanda has gotten her body back, Odette is completely unresponsive. What made the swap go wrong?