FIVE

"SHE GAVE YOU her number?!" summer practically screamed in shock. nancy shushed her, not wanting anyone around her to hear.

robin had trusted her enough to give nancy her number- or at least nancy thought it was her number. she wouldn't know for sure until she actually called it.

"yes, now shut up!" nancy scolded, rolling her eyes as they walked out of the building. "but seriously, what do i do?"

"she literally told you what to do! call her!"

"right now? fuck no! she just left five minutes ago, summer"

"she said to call"

"she didn't mean immediately after i left the show," nancy fired back, rolling her eyes as they hopped in summer's car. "wait! i have an idea"

"you better tell me right now!"

"what if i just text her? say something like 'hey, it's nancy, just so you know'. then, if she wants to call me five minutes after we separate, she can do that"

"good idea! but please, for the love of everything good left in your life, do not say it like that"

"you're such a bitch" nancy replied jokingly, making summer roll her eyes.

"wow!" she answered, dragging out the 'o' dramatically.

nancy pulled out her phone and the piece of paper, unfolding it. she looked at it for the first time, admiring the numbers scribbled in blue pen.

212-806-7731

the numbers that could change nancy's entire life.

she almost backed out- almost let the nerves eat her from the inside out. but, before she could back out, she let her fingers fly across the keyboard. she typed a simple message, similar to what she had planned, and hit send without a second thought.

her heart raced with anticipation, a feeling she hadn't felt since she first started talking to izzy nearly six years ago.

izzy.

she hadn't even thought about her all night. she had been too wrapped up in the thought of robin that she had completely forgotten about her. and it felt amazing.

her mind had finally been at peace. the voice screaming in the back of her mind had stopped. the torturing memories of izzy had all faded away for hours, like an ocean at low tide.

peace, calm. yet another thing she hadn't felt in years.

nancy was a terrible overthinker. when she was with izzy, any slight change in her tone had nancy's mind spiraling for hours, questioning everything.

does she even love me? is dating me some sort of sick joke that's been going on for years? is she cheating on me? is she going to dump me to the curb like everyone else in my life had done?

but tonight, she wasn't that person. nancy was a new, improved version of herself. she was like a butterfly and her breakup with izzy was her cocoon. when it was time to break out of her cocoon, she would leave it as someone completely different. someone better for herself and everyone around her.