02. {stuck like cement}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

the next morning, at 5 am sharp, the dojo was gathered in the local cement ground. johnny had given them orders: carry the dry cement bags, add water or mix the cement.

"don't add too much water." johnny told mitch, "you wanna make it nice and thick."

"sensei, why are we mixing cement?" miguel panted from exhaustion, he had been stirring the thick, grey substance.

johnny shook his head, "no questions. all right. keep stirring." he demanded before moving over to kresse.

"i signed up for karate, not to be doing free labour for some lazy builders." tabitha groaned as she stirred her wagon of cement. "hell, i didn't even sign up for karate."

"you know you could've just... not come?" miguel muttered from the wagon beside her, his eyes on his task.

tabitha glared at him. "first of all, i wasn't even speaking to you."

"then who were you speaking to?" miguel asked. "because i'm the only person who replied."

"i was speaking to mohawk, actually." tabitha pointed to the boy beside her, who had been slowly pouring the powder into her wagon.

"it's just hawk." he reminded her for the third time that day.

"whatever."

a deafening honk was heard, making them all pause in what they were doing and glance up. the teenagers looked puzzled as a cement truck had driven over and stopped right in front of them. a man climbed out and began speaking with johnny. the conversation was relatively short, and the man walked away after.

"what is this?" hawk mouthed to the two, silently referring to the truck.

miguel shrugged, as confused as hawk was while tabitha seemed more intrigued, wanting to know now what they would be getting up to.

"all right." johnny finally yelled, after half an hour of quiet stirring and pouring. "fall in!"

the group moved together, facing their sensei. tabitha stood in the middle of hawk and aisha, them two being the only people she could tolerate in the place. that miguel diaz was very full of himself.

the guy won a karate championship, sure. but tabitha didn't care about that title he held. in fact, the girl had multiple trophies and medals up in her room, but she didn't act like she was better than everyone.

"you think winning the all valley gives you the right to goof off?" johnny asked them, "well, i got news for you. winning one championship don't mean squat. a true champion never stops training."

kresse stood leaning against the truck, looking at the kids with a smug expression on his face.

"you gotta keep moving forward, or else you could get stuck exactly where you are. it's like the cement in this truck." the blond man pointed to the vehicle behind him, "if that drum doesn't start turning, the cement inside will harden and get stuck. is that what you want to happen to you?"