First Watch

Heavenly bodies glittering and twinkling away somewhere in their places in the vast space. From where Lisa is sitting where the fog is thickest in the topmost branch of the tree they chose to camp on, all the radiant light of the moon and stars are not visible. The darkness and silence together makes a suffocating company. Lisa watched as the still leaves slept in lack of sunlight, she hunkered lower and hugged her knees. Listless branches hung silent, a small groanfrom the forest floor distracted her from her from the trance she’s in. Now she’s fully aware of the girl underneath the tree writhing in pain but trying to keep her voice in, Lisa bounded down the tree to her.

Jennie’s pale skin reflected the silver moonlight. Her eyelids are firmly shut to will the aching away.
“Hey. -” Lisa whispered, as if the loudness of her voice would somehowworsen the situation that Jennie is in. She gently turned Jennie’s head and noticed the wound on her side starting to fester under its bandages, it has just been roughly forty hours since the attack but she’s still suffering from the brunt of the poison from the Airborne’s bite.

The medicine that Jisoo gave her helped a lot to alleviate the soreness, but the stinging still would be there. Lisa reached into Jisoo’s supply bag for more wound dressings and a bottle of antiseptic slime.

“Jennie, I’ll have to take your clothes off and bandages.”

Jennie opened her eyes and looked at Lisa then nodded her assent. Lisa pulled her shirt over her head and slowly removed the bandages, she applied the balm earning a hiss from Jennie..

After many sharp intakes of breath she withstood the pain.

“There, all done.” Lisa said, satisfied with her work.

“Thank you.” Rasped Jennie.
Lisa nodded, and got up starting to leave but Jennie reached out to her and grabbed her hand.

“Please stay.”

“Okay. – I still have to keep watch though.”
“It’s fine,” Jennie answered.

“My senses are getting sharper now, unlike before. So I’ll stay up with you, I’m a night person anyway.”

“In that state? Will you be able to tell if someone is coming?”

“I could even hear your heart beat right now.” Jennie replied with a chuckle, making Lisa pause and listen to her racing heart rate.

“Woah, stop eavesdropping.”

“ I can’t help it.”

Lisa moved to cover both Jennie’s ears.

“Shshhhhh, do you hear that?”
Lisa froze, “What is it?”

“The sound of your embarrassment.”

“Oh God, you’re awful please stop.” Lisa laughed.

“There’s nothing to be uncomfortable about, it’s just the two of us.” Jennie patted the sleeping bag next to her.

Lisa sat down beside Jennie. “You know, sometimes I wonder how we got here. So lost, I was the hunter now I’m part of the hunted.”

“Not for long.” Jennie took four small vials from her inner pocket.

“What’s that?” Lisa asked.
“We just might have one last ace up our sleeve. Our ticket to freedom if all else fails.

Tomorrow we’ll go through everything we have.”

Jennie lifted her face skyward, like she’s really getting the scent of liberty.

Lisa let her gaze follow Jennie’s and together they watched the moon traverse her nightly route in silence.