3: Awake

''Am I missing out on something?''

You stared with narrowed eyes at the floating lights that weren't particularly anything, yet simultaneously something. In essence, It had no body, only a mind, and whatever you were angry for, you did not know where to direct it. Only a hushed voice answered you. Whispers that you could make nothing out of with eerie breezes softly blowing against your skin as you huffed in annoyance.

''You never answer me when I want you to,'' you continued, crossing your arms. ''Only when I don't want you to.''

It was useless. The sentient rays of light that floated in front of you did not seem to be giving you the answers you were looking for anytime soon. It was like a clock that continued to spin though never showing you the hours. It appeared to you, though It never seemed to help you. It never told you its name, if It even had one. Frankly, you were beginning to get tired of It. This did not happen often, but when you did find yourself standing in front of the moving lights, or whatever it appeared to be, it left you with a feeling of desire. A desire to know.

''Fine, then. Suit yourself,'' you said with a snarking tone, turning away from the cluster of shimmering lights. ''I'll figure it out on my own. This is my story, and whether or not you play a part in it, I don't need to know. I will get there, with or without your help.''

As your feet moved your body away from the light, a sudden sunken feeling overtook you. You wondered if you were making the right choice. There had to be a reason for It to show up once again. Perhaps there was a chance of finally getting an answer out of It if only you'd try hard enough.

Fighting the urge to turn back around and face It once more, you were caught off guard when the world, or wherever you found yourself to be, seemed to shake around you. You didn't know where it was coming from or what was happening. Out of sheer panic, you turned your head around to look at the light once more, only to find it disappeared. Now, you were all alone. Alone and shaken, both literally and figuratively.

Dropping to your knees, afraid that your legs were going to give out if you tried to stand any longer, you let yourself become engulfed by the darkness that swallowed the place in its entirety. Whatever was going on was not supposed to happen, and you dreaded its meaning.

_

It felt like weeks had gone by.

Your eyes fluttered open with a tired haze as you felt your head thump against your skull. It took you a while to regain a clear focus as you tried to take in your surroundings. The ground felt solid, though the world seemed to sway as you felt your body moving ever so slightly up and down. It felt different from the dream you had – less frantic, though still in motion. The dream. You did not want to think about it. You were already perplexed about your current situation, and whatever you had seen when you were in a deep slumber, you did not need to pile that up onto your other worries. Besides, it meant nothing. There was no meaning in such dazy dreams, and spending unnecessary energy on it to try and solve the riddle would only tire you out even more. You needed whatever energy you could muster to finish what you came to do. But right now, like your dream, the current situation you found yourself in was not going to help you either.

You remembered fragments of the things that went down before your world blacked out. You remembered the racing of your heart as you fought against the neverending stream of fear that welcomed you, you remembered the relief washing over you when you found the necklace again, and then, like a thorn stuck in your thumb, you remembered the Captain. That arrogant prick who decided that his life and those of his crew were more important than the entire world.