9: In The Heart of Danger

The walk to the Captain's Quarters was silent.

To you, it felt like you had walked that path for what seemed like the hundredth time. At this point, you knew every splinter on the wood, every crease on the floor. You knew that urgent matters had to be reconciled as soon as possible, and yet you couldn't help but to feel as if you were punished. For what, you didn't know. Perhaps Yunho or Mingi had told Hongjoong about what had happened after all.

It didn't help that Seonghwa seemed to be as vague as he could get. You felt like a scolded child following their mother, knowing that she'd be disappointed by whatever antic you had done. Although Seonghwa still looked weary, as you noticed when he came to get you, his demeanour never seemed to change. He may not have been their Captain, but anyone would break under those piercing eyes. Eyes that almost looked as if they knew what you had done. It almost left you confessing the entire thing yourself.

The whole situation just made you feel clammy, and with every step you took, the more nervous you felt. It could've been about anything. Perhaps Hongjoong had found some new information about the Cordelia, or maybe he received news from the Citadel, though highly unlikely. Perhaps it was San who had come to the Captain to complain, knowing that he had every right to and that he hadn't joined the others in the kitchen. That was a likely possibility, and maybe even the worst. You didn't want to face him, not after hearing the things he had been yelling around.

''Why did Hongjoong ask for me?'' you asked, finally breaking the tense silence that hung in the air.

''I'm not really sure,'' Seonghwa simply replied as he kept his eyes in front of him. ''He hadn't told me anything.''

You bit your lip as you grew even more concerned. It wasn't necessarily that Seonghwa's tone was snarky. It just sounded off, and every second that passed, you blamed yourself more for something you didn't even know was your fault.

''Are you mad?'' you then asked, keeping your tone low as you tried to find comfort in fiddling with your hands.

Seonghwa's pace seemed to slow as he finally turned around to look at you. You were afraid to see his stern eyes, nonverbally telling you that yes, he was mad, but much to your surprise, you were greeted with a look that only seemed to tell you the opposite.

''Mad?'' He asked, his eyes softening lightly. ''Why would I be mad at you?''

You briefly looked down, too embarrassed to meet his gaze. How could you have been so stupid? Of course, he wouldn't be mad. Curse you and your habits of jumping to useless conclusions. Then again, a part of you couldn't blame yourself; after everything that happened during the training, you wouldn't be surprised that Seonghwa or even Hongjoong would be mad at you if they knew about the situation.

''I ... don't really know,'' You answered, your mind still wavering with uncertainty. ''I just assumed by the way you entered the kitchen and the minimal details, I guess.''

Seonghwa let out a light chuckle as he gave you a smile, one that you were familiar with, ''I'm sorry, Y/n. I should've realized that. I was just so caught up with things that I hadn't even realized to wear it down.''

You shot him a concerned glance. Now that you looked at him, you could see that he looked tired. You knew that he'd been down for a few days after the battle with the Sentinels, but this seemed to be because of something much different.

''What happened?'' You asked, your curiosity getting the better of you.

''Just some quarrels between me and Hongjoong. Disagreements, if you will,'' he answered, returning his gaze back in front of him. ''But nothing that you need to worry about. They're only natural.''