8: Whispers of Truth

'''This world is divided,'' the gentle voice of Elder Klara spoke, yet there was authority laced in it. ''Fractures of the same shattered glass, and still the light that shines through it blinds us all.''

You sat on the soft grass, your legs neatly tucked underneath your body. The inner courtyard of the Citadel was ever so lush during the summer times, its colours vibrant and lively. The trees that stood were old of age, though they seemed ever so young. They felt full of life, much like the other flora around, and as the leaves swayed around in the gentle breeze, you could hear the distant chirps of the birds residing in their wooden homes. The sounds of nature were music to your ears, filling the silence that often seemed to accompany you.

You welcomed the heat of the sun as you took your teachings in the courtyard, feeling grateful to not be stowed away inside the cool walls of the Citadel. Though you were dressed in grey robes that covered most of your body, you didn't mind the warmth of the radiant sun that shone upon the area. You relished in its beauty. A summer child, you were, and perhaps for that reason it was your favourite among the seasons.

''It is why we must find a way to seal any sign of defiance, child, for the world can't bear any more,'' The Elder spoke, turning her gaze towards you.

Your head was bowed down, a sign of submission. The green grass seemed so peaceful, much like the surrounding matter, but in your heart there was none. You knew what you had done. A simple breath of your voice and there you were once more; praying for forgiveness.

''This place acts as a new reign,'' The Elder continued, and you knew that if you were to look up, you'd only be faced with stern eyes, ''it is our task to be the one to unite the light, and that includes you too. Should you refuse, then you're nothing more than those brutes who defy the callings. Are you one?''

You kept your hands in your lap as your head remained low, unsure whether to answer her question. The Faith appreciated silence. According to the Elders, only in moments of quiet could their love for Amphitrite be given in the most purest of forms, and because of that, it was custom for a Sister be remain silent in most situations.

''I asked you a question, child,'' The Elder stated firmly, ''Surely, you must know by now that silence is an answer too.''

Finally daring to look up, you tried your best to remain unfazed. You couldn't be scared, and with a slight shake of your head, you gave a silent response.

-

Perhaps it had been a wrong choice for you to duel San.

Heavy was the sword that you carried in your hands, and now even more so as you looked at him. You hardly knew anything of fighting, and to make things worse, on the other hand, San seemed to know everything about it. He was the blueprint of a skilled warrior ; defined muscles, strong build, cold demeanour. Even if he truly only wanted to challenge you to prepare you for the real world, you knew you wouldn't leave without any bruises. He would not go easy on you, that much you were sure of.

One of the things that riled fear in you was his metal arm. He'd already given you a taste of it when the two of you met back then on deck, and to think of what more he could do with it left you shivering. The attribution served as much as a disadvantage as an advantage, and you knew that you had to play smart if you were to overpower him. But as San seemed to look at you like you were his prey, it was hard to think clearly.

''Y/n, you can still back out,'' Mingi lowly said as he came close to you, ''don't let whatever San says get to your head.''

You sighed as you briefly glanced at him, appreciating his concern, ''I think it's a little too late for that.''