I'm Sorry, I Am Not A Secretary

Katherine hadn't even cared much about the Hermits.

After all, what had they done for her? Stole her trade? She had only gone through the Rift because everyone else did, and she didn't want to be left alone in Empires with no one but her sheep.

Now, apparently, she was in a jungle somewhere, on the outskirts of a port city built in the roots of a few giant trees. The air was warm and humid. The sun was bright and high in the sky, but clouds were gathering that suggested rain. None of her fellow Emperors were in sight. Maybe they were in the city. That seemed like the most logical thing to do.

Katherine adjusted her elytra and lit a rocket, then thought better of it and landed back where she had taken off. Most of the Hermits seemed to love elytra, but it was better to be safe than sorry. She didn't know what laws they had here. Maybe it was best to stay on her feet.

Katherine approached the city. It was built where a river met the sea, in the roots of a massive tree. The building style seemed like something out of a fantasy movie - swooping rooftops in the shapes of leaves, wooden docks that creaked under her feet but held firm, mossy stone piers and ships of all sizes. Everywhere she looked, there was something new and interesting to see. Whoever's base this was, it was beautiful.

Most of the people there, whether carrying boxes of goods or docking ships or selling wares, seemed to have a strange glowing green earpiece. Katherine wasn't sure what it was, but she'd probably blend in better if she didn't ask. Probably some redstone technology that she had never seen before.

Someone behind her called out. "Hey, you! Katheryne!"

Katherine jumped and turned around. She came face to face with a man wearing a green outfit.

"I didn't know you ever left the reception booth," he said, panting. "And you grew your hair out, too!"

"Uh-" Katherine said.

"Sorry to bother you at this time, but are there any commissions available right now? You have no idea how bored I am, I was sent here to recruit but nobody listens- what are you doing in Port Ormos, anyway?"

"I'm sorry, have we met?" Katherine asked.

The guy blinked. "Well- uh, yes, but I suppose it's understandable if you don't remember me, you probably deal with hundreds of adventurers every day..."

"No, I think you have the wrong person, I have no idea what you're talking about," Katherine laughed nervously. This whole situation was quite embarrassing.

The adventurer wrinkled his eyebrows. "Oh," he said. "Sorry. My eyesight is... not the best. But you responded when I called you Katheryne..."

"My name is Katherine," Katherine said. "But I think you have me confused with a different Katheryne."

"Well," the man said. "In that case, would you be interested in joining the Adventurers' Guild?"

"What's the Adventurer's Guild?"

The man looked deeply wounded. "You don't know what the Adventurers' Guild is? Where do you come from where you haven't heard of the Adventurers' Guild?"

"Well, I'm sorry, it doesn't exist where I'm from," Katherine said, putting her hands up defensively. "I'm just trying to figure out who owns this base and whether they've seen anyone I know, and then I'll be on my way!"

"Please!" The guy begged. "I haven't gotten any recruits! I'm desperate. And you have a fancy axe, and you wouldn't have a fancy axe if you didn't know how to use it!"

"At least explain what this Guild is before you go and tell me to join it. I don't even know who you are!"

The man took a deep breath. "Yeah. Okay. Back up. I'm Stefan. I'm from the Sumeru Desert, but I sort of just snuck through Caravan Ribat and got to the rainforest. Now, I'm recruiting for the Adventurers' Guild here in Port Ormos. It's not going very well, everyone is all rush-rush-rush, sell-items-make-Mora."