First Day of Hell

When I finally convinced myself to get out of bed, I clumsily walked to the bathroom. The bags under my Y/E/C eyes could probably carry me to school, but I decided that I didn't care. I hurriedly brushed my teeth and Y/H/C hair. I then splashed my face with some cold water. Today was going to be an okay day. I just had to push through it. I got dressed, putting on a t-shirt, a navy-blue flannel, and a pair of jeans. I knew it was cold out, so I put on the only jacket I owned, which was a brown jacket with faux fur that lined the inside.

I grabbed my now almost empty backpack and made my way down to the kitchen. My dad was already sitting at the kitchen table, a cup of coffee and a bowl of half-eaten cereal in front of him---- His nose buried in a newspaper. I searched through the cupboards for something to eat, settling on a couple of Poptarts. I popped them in the toaster and leaned against the countertop. I drummed my fingers impatiently on the counter, ready to get this day over with. I wonder what Jake is doing right now. Did he have to start school so early in the morning or did his classes just start whenever?  I rubbed my eyes and jumped, startled when the Poptarts popped up in the toaster. 

I grabbed them, wincing as I burnt myself a little, and wrapped them in a paper towel before bringing them over to the table. I sat across from my dad and ate my breakfast---- Which wasn't the healthiest breakfast choice, but I had no time to be picky. Dad was used to living alone, so his cupboards were not exactly stocked with stuff that you would usually make meals with. I'm surprised that he hasn't keeled over from cholesterol problems. I made a mental note to go out and buy groceries sometime this week.

I knew how to cook--- I was no professional chef but I knew my way around a kitchen. I knew it would do both my dad and me some good to eat full meals instead of takeout all the time. I looked at my phone to check the time, and since I was already on the phone, decided to send Jacob a message. Hey! This is Y/N. Was sending you a message so that you would have my number too. I cringed a little but clicked send anyway. 

There was nothing wrong with the message itself, but to me, it seemed pushy. I was probably overthinking things. My dad was pretty silent for the rest of the time I was in the kitchen. It wasn't until I had said that I was leaving for school that he had said anything. "Okay. Have a great first day at school, Y/N/N." He called out as I grabbed my keys off the hook by the front door. "I'll try." I responded as I headed out the front door. It was already raining, but it was light. I hopped into my truck and started her up. The smell of tobacco, gasoline, and peppermint flooded my nose. It was a surprisingly comforting smell. I put the truck in reverse, backed out of the driveway, and started the drive to school. 

It wasn't hard to find the place, though I had never been there before. It didn't look like a normal school---- The place looked like a bunch of houses stuck together with maroon bricks. The only thing that told me that it was a school was the sign, Forks High School. I pulled up to the front office and parked, not knowing, nor caring if it was personal parking or not. I was new, so they could cut me some slack. I walked through the door and up to the secretary's desk. A lady sat behind it, her hair a bright red pulled back in a bun. She wore glasses and a purple t-shirt.

"Can I help you, dear?" She asked, looking up from whatever paperwork sat neatly stacked in front of her.  "I'm Y/N Swan. I'm new here." I said a little too awkwardly, my throat feeling a tiny bit dry. Her eyes lit up and I knew right then and there that I was the gossip of the town. My dad must've been talking about me to more people than I had thought. "Of course." She dug through a stack of papers on her desk until she found the two papers she was looking for, "Here's your schedule and a map of the school."