No-Show/The Accident

The next day of school was somewhat better. My first few classes seemed to go by fast. Pretty soon it was lunchtime. I followed Jessica to the lunch line and grabbed a tray. As I got my food, I couldn't help but glance at the Cullens' table. But the person I expected to see wasn't there. Edward's usual spot sat empty. The others sat around the table, staring at nothing like the day before. Jessica nudged my arm with her elbow, "Y/N, we need to move up in line. Are you gonna get something to eat or are you just gonna stand there?" 

I nodded, grabbed some food along with a can of soda, and made my way over to our usual spot. While the others chatted and ate, I picked at my food. My appetite had almost completely vanished. I sipped my soda and listened to my friends as they went on about the latest gossip. After lunch, I went to my biology class, half expecting him to be there. Maybe he just skipped lunch. None of them seemed to eat anyway.

But when I arrived, I found that my suspicions were correct. Edward had skipped school. The following day was the same. Another no-show. I decided that it had to be personal. That Edward had some kind of problem with me. It vexed me to the point that I had written about it in my diary. 

After school, my dad and I went out to eat at the Carver Cafe. My dad ordered a steak with a salad and toast while I ordered a burger with crinkle-cut fries. "So, how is school going? Did you make any new friends?" My dad asked as he added some A1 sauce to his steak. "Yeah. Jessica and Angela have classes with me. Eric introduced himself to me almost immediately after I had arrived, and I met Mike at lunch. They're a pretty good friend group." 

"That must be Mike Newton. Nice kid--- Nice family. His dad owns the sporting goods store outside of town. He makes a good living off of all the backpackers come here." I thought of a question mid-bite of my burger, chewed and swallowed quickly before asking it. "Do you by any chance know the Cullen family?" He stopped slicing his steak, "Dr. Cullens' family? Sure. Dr. Cullens' is a great man and an amazing doctor."

"The kids are... a little different. They don't fit in very well at school." My dad rolled his eyes. "The people in this town," he muttered. "Dr. Cullen is a brilliant surgeon who could work at any hospital in the world and make three times the amount he makes here. We're lucky to have him—lucky that his wife wanted to live in a small town. He's an asset to the community, and all of those kids are well behaved and polite... And they stick together the way a family should—camping trips every other weekend... But just because they're newcomers, people have to talk."

I sat silent taking in his speech. "Well, they seem nice." I somewhat lied. I had not talked to any of them, so I really wouldn't know, but for my dad's sake I wanted to leave out the incident with Edward. I wouldn't want him making a scene over something I couldn't even make sense of myself, "They're very eye-catching."

"You should see the doctor. It's good that he's already married. A lot of the nurses have a hard time concentrating on work when he's around." With that, the conversation died. We finished our dinner, which was pretty good, and left.

When we got home, I went straight up to my room to do homework. It wasn't much, just English but I wanted to get it over with as soon as possible. I was halfway through writing my essay when my mom called. I answered the phone, "Hey, mom." 

"Y/N! How have you been? How's Forks?" She sounded excited about something. I chewed on my pencil, "It's pretty great so far." I heard my mom sigh, "Well that's great. Hey baby, listen if spring training goes well, we could be moving to Florida." My mom's voice cut out slightly as a voice said to insert a dollar-twenty-five to continue the call for 3 extra minutes. "Mom, what happened to your cell?" I heard the clinking of coins before my mom spoke, "OK, don't laugh. I didn't lose my power cord, it ran away. Screaming." I laughed as my mom continued, "I repel technology now."