Chapter 2

"What do you think, Dizzy?" Aria twirled for Dizzy, sending her cotton skirt floating. Dizzy cocked his head at Aria and watched her intently. "You're right, this is too summery casual." Aria rifled through her closet, looking for the outfit that exuded confidence and still felt comfortable to her. Finally, she settled on a simple navy sheath dress. She tossed the cotton skirt on the bed and put on the dress.

Aria studied herself critically in the mirror, her long hair bound in a neat French braid. She was perfectly presentable, but a little flat and boring. Time to bring out the puppies. One of her students in Pittsburgh had picked up on her devotion to Dizzy and got her a pair of dangly brown puppy earrings as an end-of-the-year gift. Once she had put the earrings on, she swished her head back and forth and watched the puppies dance. Perfect.

*****

Lucas also took an extra bit of care dressing, pulling out his favorite blue shirt and the dolphin tie Lily had picked out for him. He wished Lily were there to tease him, make him laugh, just generally start the day off right with her sunny personality. But it was Brandi's week, so he would have to handle the morning routine alone.

In the kitchen, Lucas pulled out eggs and Gruyere cheese and proceeded to make an omelet with precision, even folding it over in the pan with a twist of his wrist. He sprinkled some chives over the omelet and poured himself a glass of orange juice. In honor of Lily, he plunked a strawberry Pop-Tart into the toaster. When the food was ready, Lucas sat at the table and pondered the unexpected but not unpleasant appearance of Aria as the newest teacher at Lakewood Elementary. He found himself looking forward to seeing her again, even if she didn't seem to be the least bit interested in talking to him.

*****

Aria stepped out of her car and grabbed her purse and school bag. When she turned around, Lakewood Elementary sprawled in front of her, line upon line of red brick following the corners of several different additions. White limestone blocks arced over the doorway, welcoming students and teachers back from the adventures of summer. And the scent of freshly cut grass tinged with a faint undertone of manure from the fields outside the town took Aria right back to the days when she walked up these steps as an elementary student. She felt the same combination of nervousness and excitement she did when she was a student returning in the fall.

Out of the corner of her eye she noticed a dark blue truck parking in the lot. When the door opened, Aria saw Lucas step out, and she quickly turned away. She hustled up the steps and into the school before he could catch up with her.

*****

Lucas watched Aria disappear into the school, appreciating the sophisticated neatness of her dress and the tidy way she walked up the steps, even if it was taking her away from him. He didn't know why he found her so intriguing. She was beautiful without question, but it was more than that. She had a reserve about her that seemed to hide something. Something that flickered behind her careful green eyes. He wanted to know more. And whether Aria wanted it or not, their situations would put them in close contact soon.

*****

During her lunch break, Aria slumped back into one of the cushioned armchairs in the staffroom and sighed. She dug in her bag for an ice tea and unscrewed the lid. The first day of school was always exhausting but exhilarating. She had twenty-two kindergarteners who were wiggling and giggling, and just as curious about their new teacher as she was about them.

Jaada dashed into the staff room and plopped down next to Aria, ignoring the two fifth grade teachers chatting on one side of the room. She looked at Aria slumped in the chair. "Rough morning?" she said.

"No, actually it was pretty good. They're great kids and really curious. The first day always wears me out. But I think it's going to be a fun year."

Jaada popped a grape into her mouth. "Is it different from teaching in Pittsburgh?"

Aria considered. "My class is a lot smaller, although I had a para in Pittsburgh. Some of the kids were struggling with rough family situations, but I liked teaching there. I felt like I made a difference."

"That's what it's all about. Did you leave anyone special behind when you came back here?"

"The kids are all special."

"No, I mean like a guy?" Jaada raised her eyebrows expectantly.

Aria looked at the floor. "No. Not even close."

*****

Lucas was in the library, using the last few minutes of his lunch break to collect some novels for his sixth graders. As he stacked them on the checkout desk, he heard the library door open and looked up. Aria stepped through the doorway and looked flustered when she saw Lucas.

"Hi, Aria," Lucas said. "How's your first day going?"

"Fine. Good. Thanks." Aria looked away from him and seemed to be searching for something.

The librarian, Hannah Barrows, greeted Aria. "Ms. Spencer, how are you? Can I help you find something?"

Aria turned to Hannah, "I need to find some books about butterflies, especially Monarchs. Do you have anything like that?"

"Sure we do! I can take you over to that section," Hannah said.

Lucas said, "I know where to find those books, Hannah. I can help Aria."

Hannah paused, and Aria hesitated. Hannah said, "Well, if you want to..."

"It's no problem. Come on, Aria," Lucas said, gesturing to her to follow him as he headed for the north side of the library.

Aria sighed and followed him, reluctantly Lucas was sure, but he needed a minute with her, and this was as good an opportunity as any.

Lucas stopped in front of the Insects section and pointed out the shelf with books about butterflies. Aria studied them while Lucas chatted. "Last year it was quite the drama with the butterflies. The kindergarteners were so excited when the butterflies started to come out of their cocoons. One of the kids opened the door to the cage to get a better look, and three of them escaped." Lucas chuckled. "All of them ended up in the cafeteria, where they scared Mrs. Ipstein so badly that she ran out of the school and refused to make lunch until they were all apprehended."

Aria said, "Mmm hmmm," as she selected her books. Lucas could see that she didn't think the story was as funny as he did.

"Anyway, I'm glad I have a minute with you. There's something I wanted to talk to you about. You see..."

Aria's head snapped up. "I'm sorry, the kids will be back in the classroom in a few minutes. I've got to go. Thanks for the help."

She hustled back to the front of the library, where she quickly checked out the books and dashed out the door. Lucas stared after her. "Nice talking to you," he said.

*****

The afternoon zipped by as Aria read Charlotte's Web to the kids and helped them work on a fall craft—glitter pumpkins for the display case outside the classroom. She had learned early on in her teaching career to take care of hard-core academics like math and grammar early in the day when the kids were still fresh and focused. So, the kids were happily spreading glitter over their pumpkins and themselves.

Aria was already getting a feel for the kids—who was likely to put their hand up to answer a question, who was likely to ask to go to the bathroom six times a day, who was likely to help their classmate, and who liked to stir the pot. One girl in particular intrigued her, a thoughtful but quiet girl named Lily. Her curly brown hair was pulled back in a loose ponytail that was a little off-kilter, like she had done it herself. She got right down to work and often finished before the other kids. When Aria called on her, Lily responded promptly, but softly, with the correct answer. She had a careful, reserved way about her that made Aria want to reach out to her and get to know her better.

After the last bell rang and the students were spilling out the door, Lily hung back. Aria was about to walk over to her when Lily's face lit up. She yelled, "Daddy!" and ran across the room into the arms of...Lucas?