Chapter 7

In the staff room, Aria and Lucas were seated directly across the table from each other, trying to keep their eyes off one other. Once a month, Ms. Rollins, the principal, held an informal catered lunch to give the teachers and herself time to discuss any ongoing issues, brainstorm ideas for the classrooms, and focus on plans for building community at the school.

At the moment, the conversation was about plans to begin a tradition of holding a spring carnival at Lakewood. People had different ideas about what the purpose of the carnival should be. Aria listened but didn't contribute anything.

Mr. Jaegerson, the 4th, 5th, and 6th grade science teacher, was in favor of using it as a fundraising event. "If we sell tickets for $1 each, that people need to buy food and drinks and play games, we could raise a substantial amount of money. We could advertise in the community to bring in more families than just those at Lakewood."

Lucas said, "I think the focus should be more on fun than fundraising. Having a school carnival in the spring is a great way to wrap up the school year, and it's something the kids can look forward to all year long."

Jaada added, "And we ask the parents for money during the school year in various ways: wrapping paper sales, contributions to the annual fund, and the silent auction at the gala. I think it's a lot to ask the parents to pony up again."

Ms. Rollins looked at Aria. "Aria, what do you think? You've just come from a big urban school. Do you have any thoughts about the carnival?"

Aria, who was still keeping pretty quiet at meetings while she found her footing, said, "We did have fundraisers during the year. Our big one was a huge rummage sale, which the parents organized and ran. In the spring, we had a field day, where we went to a park and had all kinds of games and competitions. The kids looked forward to that all year. I think it's great for the kids to have a big fun event at the end of the school year."

Lucas watched Aria carefully as she spoke. When she turned from talking to Ms. Rollins, she saw Lucas staring at her. Her cheeks turned pink and she looked down to doodle on the pad of paper in front of her. Good grief, she felt like she was in third grade again, when she had a crush on Loren Fletcher and she could hardly bear to talk to him in class. This meeting could not end soon enough.

*****

Lucas wasn't trying to embarrass Aria; he was genuinely interested in what she had to say. He couldn't help it if he found her green eyes and quiet smile distracting. He let his eyes linger on her, until he realized she had stopped talking and he was still staring. Okay, buddy, time to move on, he told himself. One more day until they had dinner together. He would have to be satisfied with that. When the meeting broke up, he watched Aria and Jaada rush out together. He wondered what they were up to.

*****

Jaada and Aria tied their tennis shoes and dashed out the door, trying to get a short walk in before they had to be back in their classroom and gym. Jaada elbowed Aria as they set a brisk pace around the block. "Okay, lady, what was that all about?"

"What was what all about?"

"At the staff meeting, you and Lucas—you know, making googly eyes at each other."

"We were not making googly eyes at each other."

"Mmm hmmm. The whole meeting, you were either doing that or deliberately trying to avoid looking at each other. We could power the school air conditioner with the electricity zipping between the two of you," Jaada said.

"That's an exaggeration, Jaada!"

"Maybe, but there's definitely something cooking between the two of you. What's going on?"