Chapter 6

Aria watched the orangutans swing from branch to branch, and then stop and stare at the 6th graders and kindergarteners of Lakewood Elementary, who stared right back at them. The children clapped and cheered, trying to get the attention of the animals. Aria turned away from the excitement to look at Lucas, leaning on the wall and pointing out something funny that the littlest orangutan was doing. Lucas was wearing a Lakewood T-shirt, as were she and all the kids, as well as the parent chaperones. One big family.

Aria knew something had changed on the night they went to the lake for ice cream. Lucas was usually making jokes and bantering light-heartedly with other people, but she had mistaken that for a lack of depth. When he had drawn out her sad story about Jake and listened so carefully, stroking her hand, she began to see him in a different light. Lucas was compassionate and cared deeply about other people. She didn't know how she could ever have thought otherwise, considering how sweet and kind Lily was.

And if she was honest with herself, this was about more than friendship. It was the beginning of something much more complicated, something she still didn't know if she wanted. She did not want to risk her heart again. But her heart didn't seem to be listening. Aria wanted to keep things between her and Lucas simple, but it was getting more challenging with each day that went by. Even as she watched him in the sunshine, laughing with his students, she felt pulled to him. Fortunately, the presence of the kids would keep things on a professional level today. Easy, really. Just keep her mind on her job.

"Ms. Spencer, Ms. Spencer, can we see the polar bears? Please? Can we go there next?" one of the kids asked.

Aria was pulled back from her thoughts. "Sure, why not? What do you think polar bears do all day when they're not at the North Pole?"

"Drink slushies to stay cool!" one of the kids shouted.

"Slushies! Slushies! Slushies!" the kids began to chant. "We want Slushies!" Aria's eyes met Lucas's over the herd of chanting kids. He grinned.

Lucas said. "Slushies sound great, but right now we need to see some polar bears. I'll bet the polar bears can tell us where we can get good Slushies. Maybe we can arrange a little field trip for Slushies next week." The kids groaned.

Aria said, "That sounds like a great plan, Mr. D'Angelo. I'm sure the kindergarteners would love that, right, friends?"

The kids grumbled, but allowed Lucas to lead them off in the direction of the polar bear exhibit. They crowded together on the sidewalk down the hill. Some of the kids danced ahead, and other trailed along behind the group. Aria, who was bringing up the rear, stopped to help one of her students with her shoelace.

When she heard one of the girls shriek, she looked up to see Jeremy, one of her more energetic and daring students, teetering on the brick wall next to the sidewalk. His arms spiraled in the air as he tried to regain his balance. Aria rushed toward him with her arms out, but she was too late. Jeremy tumbled through the air sideways, landing on his hip and his arm, which was twisted underneath him. The snap was audible. Jeremy began to scream at the top of his lungs as Aria reached him. Lucas, who had looked back when he heard the commotion, reached him at the same time.

Lucas put his hand on Jeremy's unhurt shoulder, and spoke calmly through Jeremy's howling. "Hey, Buddy, I know this hurts like getting smacked down by the Hulk, but you're going to be okay. Jeremy, it's okay. Slow down your breathing. It's okay." Lucas stroked Jeremy's forehead, transferring his calmness to Jeremy. Jeremy's screaming subsided to whimpering. Aria was already on the phone to his mom, who was leaving work immediately.

"Jeremy, your mom is on her way, Honey," Aria said. She was kneeling by Jeremy as the students and chaperones gathered around. As Lucas continued to tend to Jeremy, she stood up and addressed the group. "Friends, I know you're worried about Jeremy, but he's going to get the help he needs, and he will be just fine. He'll be back at school before you know it. Parents, could you take the students to the polar bear exhibit, just like we planned, and from there to the Penguin Playground? One of us will catch up with you there." The worried parents and kids shuffled off to see the polar bears, in a much less festive mood than a few minutes before.