Chapter 4

And Jaada was just the one to tell it. She and Aria had already made plans to get takeout and hang out together at Jaada's apartment in the center of town. Aria parked her car on the street and noted the traffic and people zipping around. She liked her own quiet neighborhood and little house, but she could also appreciate the vibrancy and energy here.

When Jaada buzzed her up, Aria climbed three flights of stairs to arrive at her door. She knocked, and Jaada opened the door to envelop Aria in a big hug. "Hey lady, I'm so glad this worked out!"

Aria was a little startled but still appreciated the warm welcome. When Aria stepped into Jaada's living room, she saw that the room exuded the same warmth as Jaada herself. Large red, orange, and patterned pillows were tumbled across a big cushy couch covered in a soft brown microfiber. The room was lightened by a glass coffee and end table. Lamps around the room threw off a warm light that invited Aria to relax. So, she did.

Jaada brought them both a glass of merlot and put out some cashews and pretzels, some of which were chocolate-covered. Aria pounced on those gratefully.

"Oh yum, thank you, Jaada. Just what I needed!"

"You don't work with someone for a few weeks without figuring out that they love chocolate," Jaada said.

Aria sank back into the fluffy pillows and sighed with pleasure. When she opened her eyes, she noticed a framed photo on the mantel of Jaada with a younger woman, standing on a dock holding fishing poles. The younger woman also held a big fish dangling from a hook. Aria got up to take a look.

"Who's this, Jaada?"

"That's my little sister, Sophie."

"How old is she?"

"She's twenty now and in college at Duke."

"She's lovely, just like you," Aria said.

"Thanks...we're all each other has now. My mom and dad passed away about three years ago." Jaada shrugged.

Aria turned back toward Jaada. "I'm so sorry, Jaada. That is a lot of loss."

"We managed. You go on, because what else are you going to do?"

"You're right. What else can you do?" Aria sighed. "My dad left us a long time ago. He shows up once in a while and takes me out to an expensive meal to purge some of his guilt, I guess," Aria said. "Otherwise it's just me and my mom, which actually is more family than I can handle sometimes."

Jaada munched on a pretzel. "Is she a little over-involved in your life?"

"You could definitely say that. She has an opinion about everything, especially my love life."

"You have a love life?" Jaada said, smirking.

"Would it be such a surprise if I did? But actually, no. I don't. However, my mom keeps asking about it, like I'm keeping some secret boyfriend in the wings. I've sworn off men for a long time. My last relationship crashed and burned spectacularly."

"Oh honey, I'm so sorry."

"Thanks, I'm doing okay now. It's just me and Dizzy, and we're doing fine."

"Dizzy?" Jaada said.

"My mini golden doodle. You know, like Dizzy Gillespie?"

"Okay, so you and Dizzy. What about Lucas?"

"What about Lucas?"

"Well, I get this vibe when I'm around the two of you that there's something there."

Aria closed her eyes for a minute. "I don't want there to be something there, but there might be." She opened her eyes. "What's his story, you know, with Lily and his ex-wife?"