Chapter 8

Lucas and Lily were at his mother's house for dinner, and he found himself wanting to tell his mother about his date with Aria. But he didn't want his siblings sticking their noses in, and he didn't want to talk about it in front of Lily.

As the family finished the dinner of homemade ravioli and Caesar salad, the talk circled around to school. His brother asked Lily, "So how is school this year, Munchkin? Have you already finished kindergarten?"

"No, Uncle Daniel, I haven't! I still have a lot more to go. But that's okay, because I have nice classmates, and I love my teacher. She's wonderful. And beautiful. And smart. And she makes yummy chocolate chip cookies. And she smells like sunshine."

Daniel said, "Sounds pretty special." He grinned as a thought occurred to him. "Lucas, this isn't by any chance the pretty blonde teacher you had coffee with a few weeks ago?"

Lucas was on the spot. There was no point in lying, but he could try to minimize the damage. "As a matter of fact, it is. Ms. Spencer is Lily's teacher, and her students are buddies with my students." He said it in a matter-of-fact voice.

Daniel continued, "I think I'd like to meet this amazing teacher. Do you think she would like to meet me, Lil?"

Lucas knew he was being played, and he did not want to give his provocative brother the satisfaction of reacting, but he couldn't help himself. "I don't think that will be necessary or helpful."

"Ms. Spencer likes everybody, except I'm not sure, but I don't know if she likes Mama," Lily said.

Everyone at the table fell quiet. Out of the mouths of babes, thought Lucas. He knew everyone in his family felt the same way about Brandi. It just was what it was. But it was awful to hear Lily say out loud how unlikeable she thought other people found her mother to be. Lily looked around the table at her family. "What? Did I say something bad?"

"Not at all, lovebug," Francesca said. She put her arms out for Lily and pulled her in tight against her, murmuring. "It is not bad or wrong to say what you believe to be true. Just remember how very special you are, and how much we all love you."

Lily squeezed Francesca back. "I love you, too, Nana."

"Now, your brothers need to clean up the dishes, so why don't you take Papa out on the porch and beat him at chess?" Francesca said to Lily.

"Okay." Lily hugged her grandmother again and took her grandfather's hand as they went to find the chess board.

*****

Francesca was simmering as she put the leftovers away in plastic containers. Lucas loaded the dishwasher as Daniel traipsed in and out of the kitchen to clear the table. "Even her own child knows how disagreeable she is!" she said. "If this pretty teacher is as nice as you and Lily tell me, it is saying something that Lily thinks she doesn't like her mother."

Lucas lined up the glasses on the top rack. He sighed. "I know, Mama. You don't need to tell me that."

"Well, what are we going to do about it?"

"There's nothing we can do about it. We're stuck with her just as she is."

"Has she found a new husband yet?"

"No, but I don't think it's for lack of trying. Even at pickup line at school, I see Brandi eyeing some of the wealthier dads as they pick up their kids. If she could do it without making a scene, she would walk around to the other side of the car and ask to see their left hand, so she could check for a wedding ring."

"Maybe we should give her some help. The sooner she finds someone, the sooner she will be too busy to cause trouble for you and Lily."

"Mama, I'd rather not focus on her," Lucas said. "Mama, I...I took Aria out on a date this week."