Epilogue

The setting sun shone golden in the dressing room as Helen fussed with the veil. Aria studied herself in the mirror. A year ago, she could never have imagined she would be wearing an elegant white silk wedding dress, preparing to walk down the aisle with the man she loved. She felt like she needed to pinch herself to make sure this was all real. But there was something she needed to do first.

"Mom, I've been meaning to say this for a long time, but I haven't got around to it. That night at the gala, after Brandi was so awful to me, you were a fierce mama tiger when you confronted her. To see you stand up for me like that, it was the most amazing feeling. I just want to say thank you, and I love you.

Helen put her arms around Aria from behind, so the two women were reflected in the glass. "You're welcome, and it was my pleasure. I love you, Aria, and I'm so happy for you and Lucas." Helen squeezed Aria tightly. "You deserve this. Now let's go get you married!"

*****

The church was cool in the summer heat of June, but the warm light of a multitude of candles illuminated the congregation. Lily walked down the aisle first, scattering white rose petals from a little basket. When the strains of Trumpet Voluntary began, Aria and Helen started their walk down the flower-flanked aisle, past friends, family, and Lakewood teachers, and past the shining faces of Aria and Lucas's students. They waved at Aria as she walked with her hand on Helen's arm, and she waved back. Jaada gave her a thumbs-up from the front of the church, and Aria chuckled. She saw Lucas resplendent in a black tux and tie, waiting for her with his brother. Dizzy, spiffy in a black bow tie, sat between the men.

When their eyes met, everyone else disappeared. Aria and Lucas could see only each other. As she stepped onto the altar, Lucas took her hand and looked down at her. When he winked and smiled, she smiled back, and they turned to the minister. And began their journey of a lifetime of lessons in love.