ONE

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
CHAPTER ONE | you don't find you fight, the fight finds you. |
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

LUCKY SAT IN THE B-17 bomber awaiting her landing orders from the command tower at Thorpe Abbots. After several gruelling hours, battling the weather in the cockpit they had finally arrived at their destination, the aircraft base for the 100th task force.

After what felt like a lifetime she would finally be able to see her brother again. In reality it had been around a year, maybe longer, since she had seen him but that was far too long. She was already smiling under her oxygen mask at the thought of finally reuniting the family again, or at least some of the family.

"Looks like we're coming in hot, Lucky." Richy, the co-pilot said as he battled with the controls and various switches.

"It's fine I'm bringing her in steady." Lucky replied, still awaiting landing instructions from the tower.

aircraft 87193 you are clear to land on lane six, bring her down.

The commanders orders were clear and so they began for landing. Lucky gave out the instructions for when to put the landing wheels down and they came down smoothly.

When the plane hit runway for landing there was a small jolt that shocked the aircraft and then they had finally landed safely.

"That's what I'm talking about!" Richy cheered before ripping of his oxygen mask and giving Lucky a light slap on her shoulder.

"Another happy landing." Lucky smiled before doing the same as her co-pilot and preparing to leave the air craft.

The rest of the crew consisted of their navigator, gunmen positioned at various points on the bomber, the bombardier, co pilot and pilot. That made up a total of 10.

Ten fresh new crew members for the dwindling 100th bomb group.

As they all exited the plane several men on jeeps drove up to them. They were the mechanics.

"The CO wants you all to go straight to briefing." One mechanic with curly hair and overalls said. He looked rather young to be so advanced.

"Alright thanks." Lucky said before jumping onto the back of the truck they had awaiting for them.

Slowly everyone filtered on before the chatter arose.

"I wonder if they'll like us." Andy, the shyest of the squadron pondered.

"Of course they will." Richy snorted back, he was rather cocky.

The trick dawned on one of the large metal blocks. This was the briefing room, where they would finally meet their other colleagues and fellow air pilots.

Where Lucky would finally see her brother again. She was bursting with excitement. After all she had kept it a secret from him, her being her was a complete surprise, a gift you might say.

When they all entered there were multiple men sat around different tables just talking.

The CO which they had all known to be, Chic Harding quickly came to greet them.

"Hello boys." He said and started to shake all of their hands.

Lucky face winced when he said hello boys. He stopped when shaking her hand and looked up to her face.

"Well your no boy." He laughed before he continued the shake.

"She's the best pilot I've ever seen." Richy interjected to clear up any sexist things that to CO may have said, but didn't.