NINE

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
CHAPTER NINE | contact |
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Summer was rolling round the corner. The six months that Lucy had been at Thorpe abbots for had flown by and merged together. It only felt like yesterday when she was landing her plane down here for the first time, ecstatic to see her brother again. Now she saw him practically everyday.

Today was probably one of the hotter days at the base. Lucy sat on a wooden chair outside, basking in the sun rays. It was rare that they would get even two days before having to go on another mission so she enjoyed it while she still could enjoy it.

However she couldn't enjoy it for very long before hysterical laughter and the sound of a heavy jeep engine reached her ears. She would recognise that laugh anywhere, John Egan was approaching.

Adjusting the black tinted sunglasses on her face Lucy looked over the rim of the shades only to see him sat in the drivers seat of the car gesturing for her to come over to him.

Which of course she did despite not knowing why. But over these past few weeks she found it very hard to stay away from Bucky, especially when he called for her. One look at his curls and diamond eyes and she felt physical butterflies in her ribcage, like they were battling to get out. Her heart raced with every prominent step she closed the gap between them.

The engine to the green car turned off and he wiped his own sunglasses off revealing his shape facial features even more. It was as if he wanted her to fall head over heels for him. The action almost looked like it was in slow motion.

"John." She greeted and he shuffled out a deep chuckle.

"It's your lucky day. Get in Lucky." He smirked to her and she shook her head in disbelief. Even after all this time he always managed to make some kind of play on her nickname.

She still hadn't indulged him in the pleasure of her saying his nickname yet.

"Well good morning to you too." She replied and crossed her arms over each other.

Usually on these days it would always be Buck and Bucky riding around in the jeep together. Not her and Bucky so she was curious as to what he actually wanted from her in this moment.

"Please get in." He begged yet again and stared down at her over the rim of his sunglasses.

Reluctantly Lucy finally jumped up into the jeep and took pride of place in the passenger seat beside him. When her legs hit the leather seats they burned for a second. It was so hot outside.

"Where are we going?" Lucy asked as the cars engine revved up and John began to steer the wheel around.

He shrugged his shoulders before his usual smug look graced his features.

"I guess you'll just have to wait and see."

The drive wasn't taking to long but they had already found themselves offside of Thorpe Abbots and instead on a dirt road surrounded by cleared farm land with the various tree popping up here and there.

It was a peaceful drive that mostly consisted of the two of them exchanging banter and talking while John tapped two fingers against the wheel every know and then and Lucy admired the scenery after a short while.

"Seriously, John where are we going?" She asked for the second time in the car.

She was met with silence for a while. Egan was contemplating something. Probably some sort of lie to keep her from the surprise.

When the car pulled up at a desolate lake Lucy was confused. The scenery was beautiful. A large lake with not even a ripple in its surface lined with a set of oak trees here and there.