TWELVE

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
CHAPTER TWELVE | kiss me ? |
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Recently Lucy had been sent a letter from back home. It was plainly addressed to her, from her Mother. A machine of a woman and a housewife. When her daughter had told her that she was going to join the war effort as her brother had to fly b-17's her Mother strongly protested.

On the day Lucy had left for boot-camp her Mother had even resorted to trying to drag her away claiming that woman should be no where near the battle. But truthfully she just didn't want Lucy to leave her sights. 

At times she was very overbearing but throughout most of Lucy's time back home, her Mother simply tended not to care about the welfare of her children. So on the day Lucy left apart from her dragging she had also said some hurtful things towards Lucky.

One of those being that when, if at all Lucy was to return she would be disowned on the spot and kicked out. All things and feeling aside the letter read as so.

To Lucina Elizabeth Cleven, 

As your Mother I should be writing you with a heavy heart wishing you well. But I do not wish you well and my heart feels just fine, thank you. I demand that you come home this instant. These silly little hopes and dreams of yours won't get you far, nor will it find you a husband and suitable household. Now I have tried to do well by you but clearly you are a lost cause. So I am giving you a week to return back to the comforts of home.                                    

I hope this letter finds you well, Mary Cleven             p.s Tell your brother to write his Mother back.

"What's that?" Gale asked as he perched on top of Lucy's bed watching her read the parchment letter in her hands.

"Nothing." Lucy whispered back and placed the letter on her bedside table.

"Any secret admirer's I need to scare away? Bucky perhaps?" Gale joked but the mention of his best friend made her heartstrings tug away.

"Unless you want to scare away our Mother who insets I return home and you write her back."

"I'm sorry Lu." Gale said with genuine sadness lacing his tone. 

It would seem that out of everyone Gale understood their Mother's personality like the back of his hand. Especially the effect that she had on Lucy and just how strongly opinionated she could be. Slowly Buck moved closer and hugged his sister in remorse.

"Let's go on a bike ride." He then said in hopes of cheering her up.

The sun shone bright today, and since Gale had suggested to go on a bike ride. Lucy had agreed with a nod of her head. The pair of then grabbed their bikes and wheeled them to one of the plane runways.

But somehow Lucy couldn't shake the thoughts of a certain boy from her mind. The way the two of them had slowly gotten closer recently and the fact that they kept on stealing glances at each other. Both had noticed but neither said anything on the matter.

With the thoughts of doubt planted by her Mother, the word marriage spread around Lucy's head like wildfire. Not to mention what had happened the evening before. Before, Gale interrupted.

Lucy stayed up the whole night tossing and turning thinking about what would have happened if Gale hadn't interrupted. But the she remembered not to dwell on the past and slowly she drifted off.

But now as she stared at the dark haired boy sat on his bike across from her. Lucy started to dwell on the past once more.

"It's a perfect day." Gale said and John agreed with a nod.

"Hello, doll." He said with a wink making Lucy want to fall off her bike.

"Let's get going then." She quickly resorted to distraction tactic. Distraction from John Egan and his stupid smile that spread across his whole face, lighting up his eyes with sparks of apprehension. 

The subtle trio biked all along Thorpe abbots in fits of laughter and jokes. Along with hints of competition every now and then. Such as when John came up with the bright idea to see who could stay on their bikes the longest whilst letting go of the handle bars.

Of course, he was a professional at it - so the game wasn't truly fair. Especially seeing that Lucy was terrible at it and she inevitably ended up in a pile of bike and woman on the floor before John had helped her up once more. Gale also seemed to be quite good at this particular game but then again he was good at almost everything. 

After Lucy had only lasted a few seconds, John had declared himself the winner by default, making the game end in an argument of whether Buck or Bucky was the true champion of the bike riding competition. 

To settle the debate John and Gale decided to have a second shot at it with Lucky being the decider for this round. Letting Gale first she watched him peddle off with his hands held high in the air for all to see he was in fact not cheating. 

However, Lucy has thrown her officiator job out the window seeing as John was stood beside her resting on his bike. The first time the pair had been alone since the bubble incident. In a matter of mere moments his head had snapped around to look Lucy in the eye.

"You okay there Lucky?" He asked eyeing her stance up.

What happened to doll and darling?

"Want to finish where we left off?" Their he went running his mouth again. But then again those were similar words she had wanted to hear fall from his lips. 

His lips.

"I want you to kiss me." Lucy then let her thoughts slip her mind. Her eyes widened.

John raised a brow before almost letting his bike fall down. Lucy watched his actions, and reactions to the crude words she had spoken.

"Maybe I will." He said and smirked like the devil had taken over his body and soul.

It seemed that her actions had surprised even him.

"Hurry up!" Gale shouted.

"Jesus fucking Christ, Gale!" John mumbled under his breath. Clearly frustrated.

He looked up to Lucy but she was gone. Already in front of him on her bike. She was fast and turned her head back.

"Race you!" She shouted a layer of pink covering her cheeks.

Inevitably tonight was going to be yet another sleepless night for the girl. Seeing as every time she thought about her saying 'I want you to kiss me' she felt liked dying inside, as if her entire organ system was gone and all that remained was pure shock and embarrassment at her very own actions. She went red at the thought.