ELEVEN

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
CHAPTER ELEVEN | closer |
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

If there was one thing that Lucy Cleven hated most it would have to be cleaning. Especially cleaning up things she hadn't done, a mess she hadn't caused.

She wondered to herself why she was actually here at the moment, cleaning up somone else's mess. Then she remembered it was quite literally her job. Or at least the one she had volunteered for at Thorpe Abbots.

It would seem that if she wasn't flying b-17's she was cleaning them on volunteering duty. With one person she hadn't expected to also volunteer.

John Egan stood beside her. Shirtless. His body covered in a light sweat with the sun gleaming around him and his bare chest. She couldn't help but stare. The view was much more interesting than scrubbing the bow of the b-17s.

"Want a better view?" John piped up with a smirk adorned on his features showing off his adamant dimples and smile lines that complimented his face very well. A little too well for Lucy to handle. Maybe the sun was getting to her, maybe John Egan was getting to her.

"No." Lucy replied, flustered, and pulled her eyes back to the plane.

John laughed as he watched her look away.

Picking up the wet sponge she placed it against the metal again and began to scrub the bow. The effort and workload made her arms ache but she paid no attention to it. After all she had a good distraction to the side of her.

"Don't be ashamed. I know I am pretty good to look at." He flexed his arms a bit which made her cringe inside.

There he went again. Ruining the moment that Lucy had created in her mind by saying something vaguely vain and presumptuous.

"And you're very humble too." Lucy muttered.

When she looked down at John again he was stood with mouth agape. Even with the shocked look on his face one corner of his lips curled up. God save me Lucy thought.

"You wound me, Lucy Cleven." He faked being hurt by placing his hand on his chest.

"Yeah, yeah laugh it up." She said back and he did laugh.

The two then settled into a comfortable silence, cleaning up the plane. It was a hard task but one that would only take a few hours. As long as they did it right, of course.

However now there was a different aura surrounding the both. Lucy could feel the glances that John kept on stealing at her. Constantly, she felt his eyes burn through the side of her face. But whenever she would turn to confront him his own head would whip back around go focus on the bottom of the B-17.

"I can see you." She stated making him peer up.

"And I can see you?" He replied. Clearly playing the fool in this situation.

"Stop looking at me." Lucy said and crossed her arms over one another.

Deep down her chest bubbled with butterflies knowing that he was looking at her. But she wouldn't give in just yet. She couldn't let him win.

"I wasn't." He denied. "If anything you were looking at me."

"I would never look at you." She lied.

"Stop, you're going to make me blush." Bucky said and came up behind Lucy.

His front pressed against her back. She could feel his abs imprinting onto her back and his breath fanned down her neck and ear sending chills down her spine. Goosebumps ignited all around the pair of them and sparks flew.

"John, stop messing around." She breathed in and dropped the sponge on the floor the closer he pressed.

"I'm not." He whispered back in her. He was so close.

Lucy's head turned to the side and managed to catch a glimpse of his face. He stared right back at her and winked before finally moving away and continuing to clean the plane.

But now Lucky was ready to start something. So she dipped the sponge into the soapy water and held it firm in her hand.

One moment later the sponge had left her hand. She had thrown it straight at John. It hit his bare back and made a slapping sound before John turned around and lobbed the sponge in his hand at Lucy. Talk about competitive.

She dodged and started laughing in a mix of screams as John began to chase her around with the bucket of the soapy, bubbly, liquid.

"John!" She screamed and ducked under the plane trying to escape the water that was about to be thrown onto her.

"You started it!" He shouted and finally poured the bucket over her.

Lucy stood there and gasped through laughs. She was soaked in the water now and her hair pushed down her back with the water weighing it down.

John laughed with her before she picked up some of the left over bubbles in his bucket. Cupping it in her hand she bought it up to his face and pushed the bubbles into his cheek.

John didn't say anything instead he stood there and wiped his face with the back of his hand. He smiled down at Lucy before wrapping his arms around her waist and hauling her up onto his shoulder.

She battled against him and screamed. It seemed to be a common theme of her getting tossed over John Egan's shoulder like a sack of potatoes.

"John!" She shouted yet again. "Please, put me down." She begged a second time but he simply shook his head.

"Call me Bucky." He stated confidently.

"Oh god not this again." Lucy mumbled and buried her head into his shoulder. "Never." She firmly stated to him.

"Fine have it your way." John kept her held close on his shoulder.

"I'll call you anything but Bucky!" She tried to bargain.

There really wasn't anything wrong with his nickname. In fact she quite liked it. She just wouldn't let him bathe in the glory of hearing her say it.

"Call me baby." He said and smiled like a mad man.

"Fine, baby." She sucked it up and spoke with no emotion to her tone to make it sound less seductive.

"Thank you, darling." He finally placed her two feet back into the ground. Yet his hand never left her waist. Grinning like an idiot he leaned his head down.

He was so close in proximity. It made Lucy feel weak in the knees. If John wasn't holding her up at this very moment she was sure she would crumble under his gaze.

Closer, and closer. John did not inch away at all, if anything he inched closer. He was going to kiss her.

"Lucy!" A distant voice then shouted.

"Fuck." John muttered and pushed himself away from Lucy. "Buck! Here to help us." He then shouted towards Gale, acting as if nothing had happened while Lucy stood there stunned.

The pair of them walked away from the B-17 covered head-to-toe in bubbles and soapy water. They were even now.