22 2 0

TW;

None.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Coming to the realization felt as if my chest relieved the most breath holding sigh ever. I felt lighter as I was finally being able to bend my grief into power and strength, which meant I could turn back onto the promise I made to Shayla on her funeral. It was time to stop fucking around and let the grief be an eye opener to our family, and to me.

Jonathan let go off me, looking at me with a confused expression. "Your grief is power? What do you mean?" I sat back onto my bed, making some distance between the two of us. "I've come to a conclusion. I'm gonna come back onto the promise I made on Shayla's funeral. I'm gonna take over all her cases and make sure I'm gonna solve all of them, even the 'Bubblegum' case." His gaze got colder, his shoulders stiffened as he looked straight into my eyes. "Don't try to solve things you don't wanna know, Avery. I don't want you to put yourself into danger by trying to solve a case that costed Shayla her life. I would never forgive myself if I had to give you up too." His tone was harsh, determinded. He wasn't playing, but I didn't wanna give in yet. "I wanna make Shayla proud. I'm gonna take her place. The last thing I want is the Bubblegum murderer to get away with the blood of our sister on his hands." My tone was harsher now, looking at him with a slight glare, which caused the muscle in his jaw to jump.

"Avery, that's enough." His tone was sharp, sharp enough to cut through a stone. I gave him a disapproving look, now getting out of my bed. "Why are you constanty fighting with me?! Every time we have a honest brother to sister moment, you ruin it by fucking it up with your words!" My tone was harsher than before as I yanked a pair of flared jeans out of my closet, paired with a casual shirt. It was one of the first times in the past month that I've worn any of my casual clothes again. I've been living in my sweatpants every day without making anything off my life.

That was gonna change now. I wasn't gonna take happiness for granted anymore. That time was over.

I'll have to make myself happy, for me, for Jonathan, for Shayla.

Jonathan sat on my bed, speechless as he followed me with his gaze, looking flustered. "Avery, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to mess up this bad.." He stood up, trying to grab my arm, but I yanked it away before he could grab it. "No, I don't wanna hear it. I'm gonna go now, and don't bother me anymore." I stuck my hand up in the air, preventing him from saying anything else. He sighed in defeat, letting me go. He knew it was better if he let me leave like this, because I wasn't gonna be able to have a normal conversation now. Talking with Jonathan always managed to end up in a argument, and I hated it.

While I hurried down the stairs, I heard him muttering to himself, but I bring myself on actually feeling pity for him. He knew I wanted to take over Shayla's cases since the funeral. I can't bring myself into thinking it could be wrong to do so. I will make the Bubblegum murderer pay for his actions. Touching my sister was his worst mistake, because I won't be so nice when it comes to murdering a family member. I'll stop griefing and turn it into fuel for the cases. Period.

When I had everything settled in my mind, I opened the door to Shayla's room, now walking into it as I ran my hands through her stuff. Even though it felt wrong to do so, I still managed to keep a straight face while my hands rushed through her drawers, desk and wardrobe...

Fucking hell, that was my dress!

I yanked the dress off the hangar, taking a closer look of it. The glittery red dress with the split. I was so excited when I bought it that I've been doing a modeshow through Shayla's room. She looked just as excited as I was. The next day, the dress was gone. I've never thought she would be the one stealing it, even after I've been confronting her about it non stop after the dress disappeared. "Guess the good girl wasn't always that good." I muttered under my breath as I dropped the dress on her bed before I went on investigating, looking for her files.