Chapter 2

Memory

The second month

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

The second month.

Day Thirty-three

Edmund got out of bed when the first rays of sunlight entered his small bedroom. He got dressed and then he slowly descended the stairs so as not to wake the other inhabitants of the house. He began to cook, he was hungry. His appetite was coming back little by little so he took the opportunity to eat and regain his strength.

Aunt Alberta came into the kitchen when Edmund was about to sit down to eat. Aunt Alberta stopped walking when she saw him. She hadn't expected to see Edmund.

“Goodmorning, Ed.”

“Goodmorning, aunt Alberta.”

Edmund slid his plate across the table to give it to his aunt before getting up and cooking again.

“Thank you. How are you today?” asked aunt Alberta.

“Better. What about you?”

“I’m fine.”

Aunt Alberta started talking to Edmund about everything and anything, he didn't always answer, but it didn't matter to Aunt Alberta, she was just happy that her new baby was doing better. That was all she had asked for.

They ate their breakfast in peace. Well, until Lucy got up too and she let out a cry of joy before literally throwing herself around her brother's neck when she saw him sitting in the kitchen.

Throughout breakfast, Lucy hadn't taken her eyes off her brother, and her smile hadn't faded either. If she hadn't stopped looking at him, it was because she had been afraid that her imagination was playing tricks on her, she was afraid that if she looked away for even a single second then Edmund would disappear.

“Can you stop staring at me, Lu?”

Lucy looked away reluctantly, but she still looked at him out of the corner of her eye.

No one had seen it - except Lucy - but Edmund was smiling and it was a small victory for her.

Edmund hadn't left the house that day, but at least he hadn't gone back to his room. He had helped Aunt Alberta with the household chores.

Day Forty.

Edmund and Eustace were playing a game of chess. It was just the beginning of the game, but Edmund was already winning. He knew it. He also knew that Eustace was letting him win.

“How did you meet her?” asked Eustace, curious.

“Who?”

“Dahlia.”

Hearing her name being spoken aloud, Edmund felt like crying again. He took a sip from his glass of water. He moved one of his knights on the board and took Eustace's pawn. And he told him the story.