Chapter 4

Keep On Tryin'

Dahlia

The fourth month.

Day Hundred.

The days were getting longer and longer for Dahlia. She was exhausted, she didn't know if the fatigue was from pretending everything was fine or from the work she did all day trying to distract her mind from thinking about Edmund - it didn't really work, no matter how many vegetables she helped peel, how many sheets and clothes she hung out in the sun to dry, how many trips she went all the way to the lake to wash clothes or how many floors she scrubbed she couldn't help but think of him, he always found a way to get into her head and thoughts.

"You should go back to rest, Mrs. Dahlia, you're going to get tired eventually."

"No, I'm fine." she said, smiling reassuringly at her companion.

But her companion didn't let herself be fooled, she could see that she was lying but unfortunately, she couldn't force Dahlia to do something she didn't want to do. All she could do was report it to King Caspian and let him make the appropriate decision.

So she sighed and went back to work, there was only that to do, after all.

Dahlia was finally alone. It wasn't quite true. She barely had time to get on her bed when her bedroom door opened. Caspian entered without even asking permission.

"You should really learn to knock before you come in. I could have been naked." Dahlia announced, annoyed.

"Sorry."

"What can I do for you, Caspian?"

"Your lady-in-waiting is worried about you."

"Everything's good."

"What if for once you stopped lying?"

"If you want to believe I'm lying, that's up to you." she answered dryly.

"Your way of answering indicates that I am not mistaken."

"Can we drop this conversation, please? There's nothing you can do to help me, okay? Whether it's you, her, or someone else! That's my problem , not yours."

"We are your friends, it's normal that we want to help you."

"You know what would make me feel better is if since the last time we had this discussion you figured out a way to bring it back to me like you're not, I guess we can both say I was right in saying there is nothing you can do to help me."

"Dahlia."

"Unless you want to stay and watch me cry, could you please leave?"

Caspian shook his head from side to side. He wouldn't leave. He approached her and hugged her while she cried. None of them spoke, there was nothing to say. All the words of comfort had already been spoken. Now there was only the ugly, painful truth to be told, but Dahlia wasn't ready to hear it yet.