Chapter 5

Dream A Little Dream Of Me

Edmund

End of the fifth month

Edmund finally accepted that he would never go back to Narnia. This idea still did not please him, but he understood whether he liked it or not it would not change anything, Aslan had made his mind and that was it.

He started to forget about Narnia. It was a coping mechanism his brain made up a few days ago, if he forgot then he would not miss it anymore. He started to forget the people he once knew, Mr. Tumnus, the Beavers, the Fox and so many more, they were just a vague memory from his past. Like a dream that would remain in our minds for the day but which would disappear quite easily and which we would not think about again.

Even Dahlia, he started to forget about her. Perhaps it was for the best, after all, if he forgot about her, too, everything else would be easier. But, of course, life was never kind with Edmund ; for the past two weeks, he had the same dream. Dahlia was walking, alone, in the forest and suddenly, she was being kidnapped by men he could not recognize and everytime she was calling for him, she was begging for him to come help her. His dream stopped like that, he could not if he managed to save her or if he had to watch her die.

The more Edmund had this dream, the more he felt that something was wrong. He was certain it was more than just a bad dream. It could not be just a dream.

The first time he had this dream, he did not think much about it, it was just a strange dream like many others he had before, it was just his subconscious playing with him.

The second time, he had spent the early morning hours thinking about it before he got distracted by something else and did not think about it at all.

The third time, he felt like something was strange about this dream and he could not fall asleep that night.

The fourth time, before going to bed, he said to himself that if he did not think about it just before falling asleep, then he would not dream about it. He was wrong.

“Edmund! Edmund! Help me!”

Dahlia was screaming at the top of her lungs.

Edmund woke up with a start. He looked around him, instinctively, he reached for his sword but it was not here, then he saw he was in his bedroom, in England and not in Narnia. He was so sure he heard Dahlia calling for help. He felt, deep inside of him, that it was definitely more than a dream. Something happened to Dahlia and he had no way to save her. He got no wardrobe to walk through, no train station whose wall would disappear, or magic paint that would take him where he was really needed.

Edmund turned on the small lamp on his bedside table, he took his satchel  and he put some clothes in it, he found a small place to hide his torch. Then he put some clothes on before heading to Lucy’s room and he woke her up.