Chapter II: Happy Birthday?

As Haitao followed his friend to his house where his sister, Mei Fu was waiting for him, he thought about what had happened earlier. He felt ashamed for what human beings are wasting their time on, how all of this could have been avoided. As he reached back home with his friend Bo who was a very short girl with short black hair alongside a few purple tips at the end and a pleasant expression on her face. She was quite beautiful but her height was the main reason she won't get any partner. Haitao opened the door to see his sister who had long black braided hair with a red bow tie in her hair, welcoming them with a sense of worry on her face.
"Haitao! Where have you been?? It's been two hours past your lunch time! Did you get in another fight??"
She said worriedly as she rushed towards him with a towel in her hand wiping off the dirt from his face.
"Don't worry Mei... I'm fine and no I did not get into any fight! You can ask Bo!"
He said reassuringly looking at Bo and pleading her with his eyes to play along.
"Yes, don't worry Mei, he didn't get into any fights"
She said with a sigh.
"Well I'm glad. You always get yourself in trouble! You know you don't have to help every citizen!"
She said while still wiping his face.
"Well, you better get ready because I have a surprise for you!"
She said again with a cheerful voice pointing at some clothes.
"What are those clothes?"
"I bought them!"
"What? But weren't we low on money?"
"Oh don't worry about it! Just wear them!"
She said before she pushed him into his room with the clothes. It was a blue yukata with beautiful embroidery on it and a beautiful blackish haori. Haitao worriedly started wearing them. He now knew very well why his sister hadn't been eating anything for a week. Just for his birthday? Is a birthday really that important? He continued wearing those beautiful clothes that her sister had bought just for his birthday as some tears rolled down his eyes.
Life had never been a bed of roses for them. Their parents died when Haitao was just 5 and Mei was only 10 years old. No one knows how they died but Mei just accepted that it was a lethal disease however Haitao believed and still does that they left them because of poverty. He sobbed softly knowing that his sister works day and night just to get some money for their living and he can't do anything. He is useless. Just useless
Useless-
"Haitao? Are you done?"
He wiped off the tears and put on a smile as he came out with those clothes on. Mei looked at him with pride and happy tears forming in her eyes.
"You look so handsome! I knew this colour would suit you! Happy Birthday Haitao!!"
She said in a cheerful and happy voice.
"I could never agree with Mei more! You look fabulous! Happy Birthday Haitao!"
Bo said with a cheerful yet somewhat annoying voice.
"Thank you but sis you seriously shouldn't have done all this! It would-"
"Oh shut up! It's your birthday!I've worked on it all month!"
"Yea just appreciate it Haitao!
"But-"
"No buts! Come on! I have planned a lot for today!"
"Ok..."
Haitao tried his best to enjoy all day but just couldn't. he couldn't stop thinking about all the hard work her sister put on for this. The day swifted quickly and at night time they cut a tiny cake as Haitao made a wish after blowing the candles.
"I wish for prosperity."